Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool too warm in the summer

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pool too warm in the summer

Hi,

I attached my question to an existing thread and just learned that that's a no-no. So here I am starting a new thread.

We live in Central Texas where it's relentlessly hot pretty much from May until October and on top of that we are in a drought. I shouldn't even have a pool, but when we got it, there was no drought.
    Anyway, the pool water gets so warm in the summer, that no one uses the pool anymore except my 77year old mother in law.
    Are there any methods to cool down the water in the summer, that don't involve evaporation? We're saving water like crazy and too much additional evaporation is just not acceptable.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. It's a shame that we can't use our pool during the hottest time of the year.

Thanks!

Gabriela

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool too warm in the summer

Welcome to TFP!

Solar panels can be run at night to cool the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You can run a fountain and/or the pump at night to cool the pool. If you have solar, running the water through the panels at night will drop the temps.

Welcome to TFP. Others will be along to offer other ideas.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies so far. We'll run the pump at night and see what difference it makes. I also will do some research on the solar panel option.

5. Back To Top    #5

Running pump at night should help. A fountain will help too, but it will encourage the evaporation you don't want. Do you have a way to create more shade? Picnic table with big umbrella? Maybe some tall container plants?
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

6. Back To Top    #6

Another option is a misting system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

There are several pool chillers out there. Just run a google search. They are not the inexpensive solution.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

It may not be quick enough for your liking, but can you plant something to simply shade the pool?

9. Back To Top    #9

The solar panel option works great. Our pool gets into the 90's, which is not exactly refreshing. I have run the water through the solar panels at night and watched it drop 6 degrees. If your night time temps are consistently in the 80's however, and rarely drop into the 70's it may not work well for you though. You need a decent drop in temps at night to get much effect from it.
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover