Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

pool light

I'm trying to pin down my fc usage and want to clean my light(1) and ladder. Do I need to drain my pool below the level of the light to remove the cover and clean it?
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: pool light

You don't need to drain if you don't mind getting your hands and tool wet, it's much easier this way. You should only need to pull out the screw (at the top) and it tilts forward and there should be enough cord behind it to lay it up on the decking. Others have more screws.

The video shows the guy in the pool doing it but you should be able to reach it leaning over the edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTO-wYmhpVU
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Any luck with it ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

4. Back To Top    #4

The deck around it was all wet and I didn't feel like getting wet. I'll pull it out and clean it tomorrow. Around the outer edge was pretty gross so I am guessing there is algae in there that is eating my fc. My light is also in the deep end, hope I don't drop the screw
    Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Now that you've said it out loud you know what's going to happen

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by onestout View Post
    The deck around it was all wet and I didn't feel like getting wet. I'll pull it out and clean it tomorrow. Around the outer edge was pretty gross so I am guessing there is algae in there that is eating my fc. My light is also in the deep end, hope I don't drop the screw
    Thanks
    When I pulled mine to clean behind it I had the vac hose all set up and vacuuming to waste so when the light came out all the stuff that floated out behind it was sucked right out of the pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

got a magnet? attach it to the screwdriver to help keep the screw connected to the screwdriver.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Not all stainless is magnetic.
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Some screws are brass = not magnetic. Just be careful with it or have your suit and goggles ready.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

And so I wake up this morning and it is raining.... Guess I'll have to wait a bit for my morning test and to pull my light, so much for staying dry during this.

11. Back To Top    #11

If you've got an extra set of hands to help out have them hold a skimmer below the light to catch anything that drops. Most lights can be reached by laying down on your chest and reaching into the water.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFUfiSKEh7A
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

It's not raining, the sun is out ... is the light out yet ??

Do I need to come over there ??