Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
UPDATED - now with no slip steps!

UPDATE!
So I bought SlipDoctors Non Slip Resistant Spray for Fiberglass, Clear. I emptied the pool down below the steps and dried them off. I then spray on a layer (used a piece of cardboard from a box to hold along the edge), let it sit over night (but really is ready in 30min) and filled the pool. Its amazing. There's a fine grit that with your feet you can barely feel, but its soft and you dont slip! Really, they should apply something like this to liner steps in the factory. I will 100% reapply this every year if needed. If you think your liner steps are at all slippery and to be safe, Id recommend this.

OLD POST:
So we have a brand new pool. And its awesome, except, our liner steps. They are slippery. Every time we use it, it seems someone slips. I have brushed them for algee, my "numbers" are good (have a salt pool). There are a few threads around but mostly from 2006-2012. Anything new out there? Anyone heard of or have used V.C.S. Slip Stop Spray from Kayden Liners? I tried the little bathtub non-slip things but they tend to come off because they're suction. Maybe anti-slip tape? But that seems to permanent and ugh, any help? THANKS!

Reactions: inatae
Manalapan, NJ, outdoor salt water pool. I dont have my test results in front of me but the pool place (reputable), said all my numbers were in the good range, didnt try and sell me anything! I can use some test strips and re-check.

I have liner steps and haven't had an issue.
Are they any better if you brush them?

I tried brushing them...someone slipped the next day. Maybe I have to brush more? They arent "slimy" but I did put in algaecide and that didnt help.

tested my water with my test strips (this is after we just went swimming for a few hours if that matters)
FCl ~2-3
TCl ~4
Alk 120
ph ~7.4
TH ~250

Attachments

• 0705142222.jpg
    0705142222.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 0705142222a.jpg
    0705142222a.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 336
  • 0705142222b.jpg
    0705142222b.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 0705142223.jpg
    0705142223.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 0705142223a.jpg
    0705142223a.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 339
You say brand new, how new are we talking? If we are talking a few days It may just be something like a coating from the manufacturing process that needs to wear off.

It was put in last fall and then closed, never used or anything. This started basically from day 1 if using it this summer. Its not slick but there is just an inherent slipperiness to a liner I guess.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I haven't used this but came across it in a search. http://www.jmsonline.net/boat-hardw...com-vinyl-traction-tape-white-15ft-re3955.htm There is a smooth and a textured one on their site.
I have a physically challenged person who uses the pool and now I'm thinking about adding something to my steps too.

Read This BEFORE You Post
Published on 01-18-2014 10:52 AM Number of Views: 10106
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started
Please add your pool info to your signature, thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to the forum :wave:

I haven't used this but came across it in a search. http://www.jmsonline.net/boat-hardw...com-vinyl-traction-tape-white-15ft-re3955.htm There is a smooth and a textured one on their site.
I have a physically challenged person who uses the pool and now I'm thinking about adding something to my steps too.

Read This BEFORE You Post
Published on 01-18-2014 10:52 AM Number of Views: 10106
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started
Please add your pool info to your signature, thanks.

Thanks... Was looking at these in clear. My only fear is if the wear and I want to take them up or replace them, will they ruin the liner.

http://www.slipxsolutions.com/14-5-inch-bath-treads

Id like to use Slip stop spray but think I'd want it professionally done...i emailed them for more info.

http://www.kaydenmfg.com/slipstopspray.html

My guess would be they wouldn't come off without damage. If one started to come loose you could always trim it and lay another one or two over the first.
Because they are made for marine environments I would think coming loose wouldn't be a probelm.

Would be nice to hear from someone who's used it and has had it in a couple years.

I would first eliminate ANY possibility of algae. That means you will have to get off the strips and perform your testing correctly with an FAS/DPD chlorine test.

Your liner should feel "squeaky clean"....not "slippery clean". I know that's a little hard to verbalize but you know it once you can compare the two side by side..

I tried the self adhesive strips on my steps and was completely elated.......for 3 months. Slowly but surely, they began to let go. Because they have to be applied to a dry surface, draining about 25k of my pool is very troublesome.............. my well has no capacity for that.

I have learned to live with it but would hope we could find a solution.

MY sister has liner steps and they are not in the least bit slippery to walk on. Like others, I suspect algae.

Thanks, and I appreciate it, and not being rude, but like I said...its not algae. Brushed and cleaned, numbers are good. Used algaecide. Makes zero difference. Its the inherent slipperiness of a liner. (Yes, it has that "squeakiness" to it. If you rub your hand/foot on it, it does give some stick, but if you give a little extra force....slip...your hand slides without resistance). Some liner makers add a nonslip material to their steps plus there are other forums that talked about it plus there's even a product made just for this (see my other post)...its not just me and its not algae. I will go get my numbers computer tested this week again and post them. TIA

I'm having the same problem. My old liner had steps of a white heavy gauge textured vinyl and were never slippery. My new liner installed 36 days ago" and being replaced again today under warranty due to a bad seam" is very slick. The steps are now wrapped with the same vinyl as the floor and I think it's the oils in the vinyl since it's so new that make them slick. Mine were slick when the water finally rose over the steps and I stepped in last month when first installed so algae was not my problem. I'll ask my liner installer today and check out liner #2 when the water reaches the steps.

Very similar sounding issue to my pool installed in May 2013. The liner steps are slippery, I think they have gotten marginally better since then but can still be tough for young children or older adults. Pool water has been good with no algae issues so I've just come to accept it and warn people that the steps can be slippery.
Granted our steps also have a 'soft' underlayment below the vinyl to make the steps (especially the top step) have some 'cushion' to it and provide a nicer/softer sitting area. But not thinking it affects the slipperyness too much.

So Ive had my water 'computer tested' and it is all in the "good" range. There is no algae anywhere. So I ordered Goop Anti-Skid Epoxy with Grit. Spoke to someone that said it should work well. V.C.S. Slip Stop Spray is not made anymore, they are developing a new product, but he suggested this instead. Im going to drain the pool, clean the liner with rubbing alcohol and then spray it on. Then after 24 hours...refill the pool. Anyone else daring to try? I bought 1 can to try it out first. Called 2 pool places by me (wow these pool places are just useless and dont care to talk to you) and they guy said I had no idea what i was talking about, vinyl liners cant be slippery and he has never heard of this. So guess we are the minority of people with slippery liners. (yes yes, its not "slippery" but it does allow one to slip on it if not careful). Thoughts?

You are going to slap me for this but I have to ask. The word epoxy brings to mind a hard unflexing material being applied to a "soft" vinyl that would have different flex and expansion properties.
Have you thought to run what you're thinking of doing with it by Goop's customer service or technical department to see what they think of the application and it's possible success ??
Do you have an idea if the actual steps under the liner are fiberglass, concrete or ....

I think all the algae talk is simply due to some liners have better grip and those owners don't understand how slippery it can get.
Remember, this thing is made from vinyl too - - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-Rb08SnRs

Friguy, don't put anything on your steps yet. I had the same issue you did last year (my first year) and now they are much better. I live next door to you in Marlboro and you're welcome to come by and check out my steps yourself. I think the liner gets a little rougher as it wears and deals with the foot traffic.
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.