Upgrading to a 2 Speed Motor

Jun 21, 2008
Folsom, CA
My single speed Hayward pump motor is overheating and shutting off, so I'm thinking about replacing it with a 2 speed motor. My system uses a Polaris 360 cleaner run off of the same pump. There is a Jandy valve at the pump outlet that splits water off to the cleaner. In this configuration the cleaner runs any time the pump is on. It is my understanding that with a 2 speed pump installed, the cleaner will not run if the pump is switched to low speed. My thought is to install some sort of a timed switch so that when the main timer turns the pump on, it will run on low speed for (x) amount of time and then switch to high speed for maybe the last 2 hours so the cleaner will run. Does this sound right? Any thoughts/suggestions/pictures?

-Todd

Intermatic T106 will control the speed of the pump. It is a SPDT so it will switch between HS and LS at timed intervals.

Were you thinking of switching the valve too? That would be a lot more involved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.