Refill after acid wash

I recently drained and acid washed my 12 year old pool. After refilling the pool with our well water I had it tested at the pool store. The test results below.

FAC 0
TAC 0
PH 7.7
CYA 0
TDS 200
Phosphates 0

The pool store recommended shocking the pool, adding conditioner and following up with Chlor Brite. After adding the chemicals my pool turned green. I remember when we first filled the pool 12 years ago the pool turned green and someone recommended we use a product to get the metals out. I plan to go buy Metal Free tomorrow and a good test kit. Just wondering if I am on the right track. I also plan to switch to liquid chlorine after reading through the info on this site. Thank you!

Welcome to TFP!

Shocking the pool on startup is not required. Still, Chlor Brite is a reasonable way to start since it will add both chlorine and CYA, both of which you need at the moment. However, you have to keep an eye on the PH when using Chlor Brite as it is very acidic. You also don't want to continue using it very long, because it will raise the CYA level very very quickly, and you don't want CYA getting too high.

The green color is almost certainly from iron in the water. I don't recommend using Metal Free, which is decidedly not one of the sequestrants we recommend using. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.