Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: vinyl scale?

1. Back To Top    #1

vinyl scale?

my vinyl pool has a rough feeling under water line for the first time this year. when i started slamming it the roughness went away. the ph is 7.4 to 7.6 and alkalinity aroun 90. i have been fighting white water mold and mild milkiness which has cleared up along with the roughness ? there is allso some staining due to well water which an anti stain additive has taken care of. i have made a couple of small acid adds to lower ph from 7.8+ back 7.6, one or 2 cups 8oz. i finally got your kit and the ca hardness is 250-300ppm. i have to add from a well. i put a rv filter on hose which helps filter rust particulate matter. i have a brush vacuum head which either sucks so hard when i close the bottom drain or really does not draw very well with bottom drain open. i replaced the brushes last year and i just broke the plastic neck. i vacuum fine particulate matter since i have an automatic cover. should i consider some type of wheeled head before i spend 40 or 50 bucks replacing this triangular see through head by hayward?
    Last edited by eaglehawk; 07-22-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: new devlopment

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: vinyl scale?

The most common cause of roughness is calcium scaling. What is your CH level? With that we can confirm, or rule out, calcium scaling as a possibility.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

on vinyl? what made it improove? waiting for kit to arrive to check ch.

4. Back To Top    #4

Calcium scale is possible on vinyl, though rare. You can get it off by lowering the PH and TA levels, though the whole process takes a while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

my TA is 90. how about shocking with persulfate in addition to slamming with bleach?

6. Back To Top    #6

Persulfate doesn't hurt, but costs more than chlorine and doesn't do any better. I can't see any way it would have anything to do with what you describe.

You are correct, the calcium scaling idea doesn't completely fit your story. On the other hand I can't think of what else it might have been.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

+1 what Jason Lion said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

my last ph check was 7.8-8.0 according to my cl adjusted reading so i added about 2 cups of acid will recheck tomorrow. i just happen to have several bags of persulfate. in the meantime the slamming continues. thanks for the help