Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Renovating an old pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Renovating an old pool

20140618_100550.jpg20140618_093805.jpg20130510_092037.jpgHello All!

This is my first pool and I am starting to second guess everything half way through the job..... I would like to share some pictures and get your opinions. Originally the coping and tile was to be saved but in the end it all came out.

Will this tile stay in place?! After posting a picture a friend of mine from FL called to see what tile I used. She said she used the exact same one and they all popped off. Is there anything I can do to avoid this? I have more on the way to tile the tanning ledge and steps. Should I cancel my order?

Also, how big should a tanning ledge be? What's the best depth?

Thanks!
    JJ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Renovating an old pool

Here are more pictures::

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s157.photobucket.com/user/jayme77_photo/embed/slideshow/Pool"></iframe>

http://s157.photobucket.com/user/jay...o/library/Pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Tiles popping off has more to do with how they were installed rather than the type of tile used. Talk with your pool builder/re modeler and ask what kind of warranty they offer on the tile work if you have concerns.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

+1 what zea3 said. You simply would be in a big pickle to take the advice of a bunch of residential pool OWNERS rather than someone who warrants the work and does that work` everyday. It is important you develop more trust in your PB or, if you cannot, pull the plug and walk.

I will add that developing that trust means you have to do some home work. Have him teach you why tiles pop off and why yours won't. Do you best to conduct business with him rather than be his adversary.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School