Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Normal Evaporation due to waterfall?

1. Back To Top    #1

Middle Tennessee

Normal Evaporation due to waterfall?

I have read several posts regarding normal evaporation but couldn't find anything regarding normal evaporation due to waterfall use. Yesterday it was low 80's, breezy, low humidity and sunny. I had the waterfall on for about 8- 9 hours and The water level went down about 1". Is this normal normal evaporation?
    18x36 kidney 20,000 gallons IG vinyl. Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/IntelliChlor IC40. Triton II TR100. Pentair Intellifllo Variable Speed. Waterfall/Jump Rock. 2 Pentair Intellibrite lights. TF-100 Test Kit. And a very happy husband who gets to play in the pool without having to take care of it.

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide
    Odessa, TX

Re: Normal Evaporation due to waterfall?

I'm going to lean towards no. I left my waterfalls on for 6+hrs, while heating my pool one day. Drop in level was negligible. of course this may not be an apples to apples comparison.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

If it is breezy you may loose more water as it is blown away from the pool in waterfall mode. The best way to check is to run the bucket test for evaporation. Run it twice, once with the waterfall on and once with it off and compare results.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mandeville, Louisiana

That does not sound normal to me. I run my two waterfalls every day. As of yesterday evening I had been running for 42 hours straight after adding salt. In addition to the two waterfalls I was also running a sprinkler off one of the return jets to cool the water down. No noticeable drop in the water level. Take Zeas advice and run the bucket test.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

Unless the waterfall is huge, the water loss due to the waterfall will normally be less than 1/4" per day. Large negative edge waterfalls can be noticeably more than that in dry climates.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School