Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with balancing levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with balancing levels

Good day everyone. I was hoping I could get some help with my pool. The water is clear but there is what I presume to be algae collecting on the bottom, sides and in the seams. It is greenie/brown in colour and when I sweep it, it mushrooms.

My levels tested by my K-2006 kit are

FC 6
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 120
    CYA 65
    Hardness....huge. I don't bother to test that often as I would go broke buying reagent.

I never seem to get any reading for CC...is that good or bad?

My ph is a tad low but my TA is high

I am guessing I will have to use the SLAM method to get rid of it but need to get my levels in order and am wondering where do I start?

Thanks
    Leanne
    18x36 IG Vinyl, Zodiac SWG, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi pump , Sand Filter, installed 2007

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with balancing levels

Well... your CYA is a bit high for everyday and certainly higher than ideal for the Shock Level And Maintain process, but since the water is clear, it is feasible. If your CH is way high, you could lower both CYA and CH with a partial drain.

It just depends on how much of a hurry you're in. A partial drain will add a day or so, jumping straight into the SLAM could get you finished before the weekend is up. If you've got enough bleach and FAS-DPD reagent, you can start dumping jugs in right now. Your pH is perfect for the SLAM. The TA will push it up, and by the time it's all over, the pH will likely be right where you want it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Your CYA level is just fine if you have a SWG in use----and even a tad low, Richard probably didn't see that. Feel free to start your SLAM.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Your CYA level is just fine if you have a SWG in use----and even a tad low, Richard probably didn't see that. Feel free to start your SLAM.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Leanne
    18x36 IG Vinyl, Zodiac SWG, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi pump , Sand Filter, installed 2007