safe to swim

Jun 29, 2014
pendleton,IN
i have ordered the tft-100 kit. i am slamming my pool with bleach to eliminate white water mold and using my pentair kit to monitor free cl and combined cl in the mean time. i am diluting sample by 50% to get the higher number. so far the process is working to clear the pool. i just added my third 1 gal bleach in three days last night, when my sons family called and wanted to swim the next day. what is the safe free and combined cl level for swimming? my cya is 50 and the water is clear. my check this morning is about 5to6 ppm free and about 9to10 ppm total. i am adding water after those checks. i could always see the bottom of the pool even before i started slamming for white water mold. it went from slightly turbid to crystal clear since i started slamming with bleach. i used to use stabilized tablets through a chlorinator and non chlorine persulfate to shock the pool until last summer when i had trouble keeping the free cl above 1 and my cya climbed to 120 and higher. i have fought white water mold for two summers before this year, partly because of over stabilized cl and i keep the pool covered with an automatic cover. my problems more resemble those from hot tub. in my original post i have lowered my cya to about 50 and cleared the slight turbidity with slamming with bleach. i stopped using tablets last summer and started using bleach. i also have used various polymers such as pink cure which have helped. my replacement water is well water which i filter using a hose filter and add chelators for staining etc. right now, thanks to your website, through slamming with good old bleach my pool is the clearest its been all year. my concern is carrying the chlorine that high for extended periods during the swim season. thanks for your help and continued assistance.

=

Welcome Eaglehawk!

Do you know what your Cya level is? What is your current FC level based on that test, and is the water clear? If it is really cloudy and you can't see the bottom, I would say don't swim.

Post back, and I'll check back later to see what you say. Congratulations on taking the right steps to care for your pool. It sounds like you are heading in the exact right direction. :goodjob:

I see a lot of advice given here about a pool not being safe to swim but never really why it isn't safe. I've seen someone told it wasn't safe because their FC was too low and because they couldn't see the bottom. So I recently returned from vacation where the lake had no FC and barely 12" visibility. It's not like there might be a hidden boulder at the bottom of your pool and I assume most people aren't drinking the water when they swim so what really makes a pool unsafe?

If you cannot see the bottom of a pool you cannot see if someone goes under and does not come back up. That is also what makes a lake, river, ect. unsafe to swim in as well. Life is about chances...........

Kim

I think it was last year there was a story that made national news. A public pool had cloudy water and someone drowned. The body was there for a couple days before anybody noticed. These things do happen.

As for the 0 FC rule, I am not a huge worrier of that unless it has sat stagnant for a while. Just remember that without it you are essentially swimming in a bathtub with everyone else and all the fluids they are excreting. Sweat, urine, feces, blood, and everything that goes with it. Maybe not completely unsafe, but I want some chlorine to sanitize that.

Sent from my HTC One

Welcome to the forum Eaglehawk :wave:

Maybe not completely unsafe, but I want some chlorine to sanitize that.

Between no chlorine to sanitize and not being able to see what's in there .... I wouldn't and I wouldn't let anyone in mine. The drowning part doesn't worry me as much as the water quality and what might be decomposing on the bottom. I've pulled birds, squirrel ?? not quite sure what it was as it was there for some time. Got under the cover somehow before the water froze or right after it thawed !!

Hi Eaglehawk,
If your pool is at shock level or below it is safe to swim. With a shock level of 20 your FC of 5-6 is safe to swim in, however since you have TC of 9-10, your CC (combined chlorine) is around 4ppm. CC has the strong chlorine smell and can cause itchy skin and eyes to those who are sensitive to it. If they do come swim they should wear goggles if they plan to swim underwater and shower after getting out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.