Drained hot tub - too late to properly clean it?

vk

May 27, 2010
TN
We just purchased a new house that came with a hot tub and knowing nothing about them and wanting a fresh start I drained it today. After reading it seems I should have run some type of cleaning product through the hot tub and then drained it - lesson learned on that.

Can this thing still be properly cleaned up enough without water or am I going to have to refill and then run some type of cleaner through the system and drain it again? Up until Wed the thing was still running - we just wanted a fresh start since the previous owner said he has only drained the thing once or twice since owning it (2011 model).

If it were mine I would refill and flush out with one of the popular cleaners like Ahh-Some, Swirl Away or some other hot tub flush product, particularly since you know the previous owner did not properly maintain the water.

Attachments

• 41+A6JRY4wL._SY300_.jpg
    41+A6JRY4wL._SY300_.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 212
That is what I figured - thanks. If we don't plan to use it until fall would it still be better to clean it now or just leave it empty and refill/clean around Sept?

Also, stupid question, but are all spa filters a standard size? I know this thing uses two of them, but not even the manual says what type.

They are different diameters and heights and they can be open at both ends or open at one end and on some the hole on one end can be different that the other end. I have two of the wrong filters for mine as the company I contacted and gave all the info to sent me the wrong ones. And wouldn't take them back even thought I never opened them.
You need to find out who made the filter housing. It might have a manufacturer name and part number or even the filters part numbers if you are really lucky or at a minimum the model number of the spa.
Post up the info and we see what we can do.
On Monday you can always try the spa manufacturers customer service phone and see if they can pop a part number up for you.

I don't know the correct answer to your question but I'm guessing it might clean better if you put water back in it now and then get the bio cleaner as if the bio gunk dries out it might be harder to soften up and get loose in a week, month .... I'm just guessing at that.

Attachments

• hot_tub_filters.jpg
    hot_tub_filters.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 196
If you do clean it now, you'll want to thoroughly blow out the pipes and dry them if possible. Otherwise they can just develop biofilms again. I don't think waiting and letting them dry out will be a problem if you'd rather do that.

Don't really expect the pipes to dry out, When I bought my used hot tub it had been drained in storage indoors and standing on its side of for a few years, even with all that there was water that came out of the drain while it was bouncing around on the trailer on the drive home..

If you do clean it now, you'll want to thoroughly blow out the pipes and dry them if possible. Otherwise they can just develop biofilms again. I don't think waiting and letting them dry out will be a problem if you'd rather do that.

I'd trust him before you trust me :rolleyes:

When we do a service on any tub we use some spa flush and allow to circulate for 30mins before draining. We then use a wet/dry vacuum to get the last bits out and also suck all the water out all the jets and returns. We then just simply clean the shell and refill. With the filter hot springs (as its called over here) do a brilliant product to soak it in over night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I plan to order the Ahh-Some and will refill and clean with that. As for the filters, one of them had numbers, but the other was completely blank. The hot tub is a Tropic Seas Spa Waikiki 864L DLX

I plan to order the Ahh-Some and will refill and clean with that. As for the filters, one of them had numbers, but the other was completely blank. The hot tub is a Tropic Seas Spa Waikiki 864L DLX

What a coincidence! I'm doing my hot tub today and put the Ahh-some in last night. Boy did it foam up- be *exact* with the teaspoon measurements unlike the woman in the advert showing her using a coffee spoon instead of a measuring spoon! The cheapest source I found for Ahh-some was at NewEgg $15.95 with free shipping.
AHH-SOME Hot Tub and Jetted Bath Plumbing Jet Cleaner Gel - 2 OZ. - Newegg.com

You do want to decontaminate your hot tub.

I purchased "SeaKlear Spa System Flush, 1-Pint" prior to reading that statement. In your opinion, is the Ahh-Some product significantly better to the point that it is worth return shipping on it and purchasing the Ahh-Some product?

See Seaklear Vs Ahh-Some Test Results and Spa Purge Product Shootout -- 2Nd Experiment. There's really no comparison against Ahh-Some that is clearly superior, not just from these two threads/experiments, but from numerous posts of people using various products.

I don't know which is worse- your filter being so brown or the green sludge that the Ahh-some brought out. WOW!

You'll feel better about that hot tub next time you enjoy a good soak, huh?

Did the filter clean up or was it tossed?

jjdurrant . . Is that the Ahh-Some product you used ??

That green ring does make me want to clean mine. That's just nasty.

Ahh-some: It does such a good job it often grosses you out.

jjdurrant: If you got that much out, I would drain and do a repeat treatment to see if you get any more. Toss the filter in the tub while it's churning if you do. It'll help clean the filter as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.