Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water level in Pool above Skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Water level in Pool above Skimmer

I awoke to Hurricane Arthur's effects causing torrential rains and a precariously high level in our pool. I went to check the pump and the filter had no pressure. I quickly turned it off and went to backwash to drain some of the water. The psi went up to it's normal level. I am leaving the pump off tonight. What happens when the water is too high in an in ground pool? Thanks.
    22,000 gallons, IG ,vinyl, AstralCantabric sand filter, magnatech century corp. pump- 2.0 HP, Just took over home with an August 4, 1975 pool and system, though pump, filter and lining have been replaced at one point. Have been to swamp and back....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water level in Pool above Skimmer

You won't skim properly is what will happen. Somewhere close to center line of the skimmer mouth is where you want to be.

You can simply backwash some more until you have the right water level.

Just curious why you backwashed if the gauge showed no pressure, or did I mis-understand?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Water level in Pool above Skimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    You won't skim properly is what will happen. Somewhere close to center line of the skimmer mouth is where you want to be.

You can simply backwash some more until you have the right water level.

Just curious why you backwashed if the gauge showed no pressure, or did I mis-understand?
    It was 2 am and I was half asleep. It strangely showed pressure on the backwash, which is why I let it run. It is possible that I misread the gauge when the filter was running. I was paranoid about the water height level.

So it will only effect the skimming quality, but will not hurt the pump. I was thinking that must be the issue. Thanks.

Sadly the small frog I rescued during this encounter last night, turned back around and jumped back in. Found him this morning at the bottom. I feel very bad for the little critters that do this!
    22,000 gallons, IG ,vinyl, AstralCantabric sand filter, magnatech century corp. pump- 2.0 HP, Just took over home with an August 4, 1975 pool and system, though pump, filter and lining have been replaced at one point. Have been to swamp and back....