Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer location in new pool build

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer location in new pool build

I'm about to start putting up forms for my new pool walls. These walls will be poured concrete, with 1/2" rebar, 50" tall, with the wall 8" thick. I have three skimmers to put in. They are Hayward SP-1082 skimmers. Is it best to place the skimmers so that the front plastic opening that receives the water, is flush with the inside of the pool wall or is better to set it back so that the whole skimmer is separate from the pool wall with the front plastic opening that receives the water, up against the dirt side of the wall? Of course I would have to support the skimmer with a separate poor of concrete so that it is secure but should there ever be a problem with the skimmer in the future, it would be easier to replace. If that is the best way to place the skimmer, how does one make sure that there are no leaks where the plastic opening meets the outside of the concrete wall?
    Outskirts of Managua, Nicaragua. 50,000 gallon in ground 60' x 20' poured concrete pool with an attached jacuzzi, deep end of 9' 4", shallow end of 4'. Two Pentair salt water generators, two Pentair Intelliflow XF variable speed 3 HP pumps, two Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 sq. ft. cartridge filters, two Pentair Intellibrite LED pool lights, one Pentair Intellibrite LED spa light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer location in new pool build

Welcome to the forum

I'll just answer on the location of the skimmer.

You want it down wind of where the wind usually blows. Give that a good deal of thought and work on it like that. Enjoy your time on TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I will be having the three skimmers on the normally downwind end of the pool.
    Outskirts of Managua, Nicaragua. 50,000 gallon in ground 60' x 20' poured concrete pool with an attached jacuzzi, deep end of 9' 4", shallow end of 4'. Two Pentair salt water generators, two Pentair Intelliflow XF variable speed 3 HP pumps, two Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 sq. ft. cartridge filters, two Pentair Intellibrite LED pool lights, one Pentair Intellibrite LED spa light.

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine were set flush with the wall
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404610356.992166.jpg
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100