No luck with CYA testing - help!

That's normal.

The lighting can make a HUGE difference. For me, even whether I hold the tube with 4 fingers touching or just dangle the view tube between my thumb and forefinger makes a difference. So does any sun reflection off the surface. It's also possible you're getting memory vision optical illusions.

illusion8.gif

Stare at this for a minute - the haze will disappear.​

Try looking away for a minute.

There's no shame in taking multiple readings. When I started, it would take me maybe 12 tries to get three readings within 5 of each other. Take a reading, pour it back and swirl it, take another reading. Repeat. If it takes twenty, who cares? No one's timing you.

Get a bottle of 50 ppm standardized solution
http://tftestkits.net/R-7065-CYA-Standard-Solution-p34.html

Use this as though it was pool water and set the test up.
Fill the test vial with the dot to the 50 mark.
Stand and look down as you raise and lower the test vial until the dot disappears.
Wherever the dot first disappeared, look at exactly where the vial was in relation to your torso.
It may be at waist level, chin level or anywhere between when this happens- it all depends on the lighting and your eyesight.
Now, test your pool water in the same lighting holding the test vial in the same location.
You will get a reading you can trust.

Three things that I've found can help:

1. If you wear glasses, wear them when doing the CYA test, and hold the vial at whatever distance your glasses let you focus best.

2. Keep the bottom of the vial moving slightly. It is easier to see (or not see) the dot if it is moving. If you hold the vial completely still, your eye will get a "burn-in" of the image, and it will be difficult to tell if the dot is visible or if you're just seeing a left-over shadow of the dot on your retina.

3. If you have some extra cash, you can get the Pentair Cyanuric Acid test kit. There's still a black dot you have to look for, but it is on a slider that you can move up and down through the solution until you narrow down the exact spot that it disappears. It works faster and more accurately than the one in the Taylor or TF test kits. It uses more reagent, but it is the exact same reagent that the Taylor uses, which is fairly cheap when you buy it in the 16oz bottles.

Last edited:
3. If you have some extra cash, you can get the Pentair Cyanuric Acid test kit. There's still a black dot you have to look for, but it is on a slider that you can move up and down through the solution until you narrow down the exact spot that it disappears.
You can get a test cylinder with a slider from Taylor, PN 4088. https://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_Partinfo.asp?MarketID=1&ReplacementPartID=2011

One method that I use is to fill to a line, say for example 40 ppm, and check for the dot. If I can still see it then I add more solution to the next line, 30 ppm, then check again, I continue to do this until I have the it bracketed between two lines, one where i can still see the dot, the other where I cannot. Using this as an example if I can see the dot at 40 and not see it at 30 then I just call it 35 ppm. I know its not linear between lines, but its close enough. If say in this case that it somewhat questionable that I can see the dot at 30 ppm, then I would just call it at 30 ppm. So I end up with cya readings with resolutions at 5 ppm. Of course this is all done following the recommended procedures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.