Black Algae in my pool (one month after SLAM and following TFP)?

tibunekubda

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I finished my SLAM (in another thread) just over a month ago. Since then I have been carefully maintaining proper levels of FC based on my CYA.

I noticed a week ago what looked like a "clump" of algae on the threads of one of the returns. Thought maybe I had missed brushing it from before (although I didn't think so). I brushed it off and went on my merry way.

I was just commenting to a friend this past week (jinx!!) that for several years I saw algae on the grout of my tiles all the time and didn't see that anymore. Well, today, I noticed it was starting again. It doesn't form on the fiberglass, just on the tile grout (or areas where the grout has broken off). When I scratched at the little black mound with my fingernail, it was obviously green underneath and I know that it wasn't there earlier this week.

I have been testing chlorine daily. PH every two or 3 days and everything else other than CYA and CH once a week. CH and CYI I only test when something happened that could change them.

Test results just now :

FC 7.5 (I usually test in the evening and add what is needed to bring it back up to 9)
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 110
CH 400
CYA 55

So, everything still seems correct. Assuming it's black algae, I found the pool school article and I will bump my FC up to between high normal and SLAM level. And, brush daily.

Before I found TFP, I had purchased "PhosFree" from Leslie's. But, I haven't used it... it's just sitting in the garage. Is it worth adding?

I'm surprised that this has occurred after several weeks of faithfully following the protocol so, I'm looking to figure out what else I need to be doing to prevent it from occurring again. Or, is black algae just that much of a pain that I will just have to always watch for it?

Thanks!

Toni

Black algae is normally found in pools that have been badly beglected for a lon period of time......You don't really fit that.

I suggest you SLAM the pool correctly and observe what happens to the "black algae"

I brushed all the tile, around the returns and the light with a stainless brush - everyplace it could be hiding. I was SHOCKED at the amount of algae that was on/around the light. Wasn't visible to me but there was a lot! I must not have brushed the light well enough during my SLAM in May.

I added extra liquid chlorine and will keep the level up until this is resolved.

OK. I admit it... I did not remove the light.

Water and electricity don't mix and it makes me nervouse Also, the previous homeowners did some weird things when they installed things. The light isn't on the same a breaker as the pool -- there's a gfci that we had installed when we had the fiberglass put in (over plaster) 20 years ago or so.

I just don't feel comfortable doing that myself (without cutting power to the house which isn't fun in an AZ summer), so I'd need to hire someone to get it done. Not even sure who I'd call for that one. I guess if this becomes a recurring issue, I'll have to do it... maybe in the fall when it's cooler.

I use the regular pool perfect (not pool perfect + phos free) because sometimes we have a lot of sun tan lotion on the kids. I don't get the black stuff on the grout anymore.

I decided to stop being a chicken about the light. Realized that with the switch off it should be fine.... so, the light is now out. There was a bunch of **** that fell into the pool. Light is now floating on the surface so back to SLAMing.

I found another source of algae that I didn't brush during my earlier SLAM. The hose sections from my pool vac. They were in the pool the whole time so I never looked closely. Around the threads there was some and the new stuff was forming on the outside of the hoses.

Thanks again for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No toys. Just me, my pups and an occasional tennis ball (ok, I know that's a toy but not your typical pool toy :) ).

I have been wearing one bathing suit in the pool with elevated chlorine (below SHOCK when I go in) to do the brushing. I am assuming that is just as good as the washing machine since it's getting exposed to the chlorine. True?

The pool looks awesome today.

Another area that seems to have some algae hiding is where the gel coat is separating. We installed the fiberglass with a lifetime warrantee and they're coming to look at it tomorrow. Once we figure out a plan, I'll probably brush away the loose gel coat to eliminate that hiding place for Al G. :)

If you have dogs swimming in the pool try the pool perfect I mentioned above. There is a youtube video where the pool maintence company used this to fix the problem and showed the weekly progress with a client with two dogs. This is one of the cases it may help you with a magic potion : )..I know they hate the stuff around here.

wrj75,

I doubt you will find many on the forum who "hate" pool perfect

What this forum is all about is teaching you to understand what is in the chemistry you use and the affect it will have on your pool.

Whether you decide to hate it or not is a choice that should be an informed decision but based at least partly on what you can learn from this forum.

No toys. Just me, my pups and an occasional tennis ball (ok, I know that's a toy but not your typical pool toy :) ).

I have been wearing one bathing suit in the pool with elevated chlorine (below SHOCK when I go in) to do the brushing. I am assuming that is just as good as the washing machine since it's getting exposed to the chlorine. True?

The pool looks awesome today.

Another area that seems to have some algae hiding is where the gel coat is separating. We installed the fiberglass with a lifetime warrantee and they're coming to look at it tomorrow. Once we figure out a plan, I'll probably brush away the loose gel coat to eliminate that hiding place for Al G. :)
You are finding all the algae hiding places :goodjob:

Please post pics and update us on the FG repairs.

Don't forget stairs/ladders. I found a bunch inside my ladders. We left them on the floor of the pool opened up, completely taken apart with all the stairs, etc taken off during the slam. I did a super slam first by using a bleach rinse and we threw them in. It helped get me over the hump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.