Pool Builder Wars

cezlaw

Jul 11, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
There is a bit of a "pool" war going on in the SA area. I have three pool builders bidding substantially for my business.

The first final offer from pool builder one:

14x27; 284 sqft; 71' perimeter; 3ft to 5ft depth
P4 Electronic controller and chlorine generator with SWG
Polaris 280 pressure vacuum with booster pump
5x8 sun deck
6' inpool bench
Two deck jets
12" raised pool with 18" raised back beam wall (18" wide)
flagstone (Quartzite) coping, walls and caps all sealed
80 sq feet Rainbow (exposed aggregate) decking with 12' linear flagstone steps up to deck
Krystal Crete mini-pebble plaster
425 sq foot hayward cartridge filter and 3 Hp 2 speed hayward circulation pump
Rock excavation included in price

Then pool builder 2 came back with this:

17’ by 28’; 75 ft perimeter; 333 sqft, 10,600 gallons;
3-deck jets, 3- hydro therapy jets
(1) Hayward 2 Horsepower, 2 Speed
(1) Hayward pump Horsepower TBD to run therapy jets on separate pump
(1) Hayward 60 sqft D.E
(1) Goldline Salt system
(1) Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
(1) Hayward Aqua-Pod w/ P4 controller
Pebble Tech - Pebble sheen (Black Onyx)
12" raised pool with 18" raised back beam wall (16" wide coping)
Excavation, forming and sand bagging is included in the pool base price. Rock excavation is included
1/2” Rebar tied on 10” Centers with a four bar beam and additional bars at all high stress areas if required.
144 sqft decking
All Flagstone raised walls, decking, topping and coating sealed with 40sk
1/4 point down of my loan rate
5x8 sundeck
two in pool benches

$39,500.00

So I said awesome I'll take it and told the other two pool builders that I had made a decision and thank you very much...signed a contract with a "three day out with no penalty clause" .......and....a day later the third builder came back with this:

exact same deal except:
4 therapy jets
Jandy equipment except for SWG which is the same
Polaris 380 cleaner
$37,500

So here I sit........having to choose.........Am I missing something ..... is there something going on in the industry or are they so high in price that they can afford to keep undercutting each other?

The economy is very weak in many areas and pools are one of the first things people stop buying when they are short on money. Many builders are starting to get very interested in any chance at getting work.

At this point I would think more about the reputation of references of the two builders than the specific packages. If one of them has better references then that is much more important than $2,000.

Thanks...I did that and both pool builders had excellent reputations. One of the major differences about the way they build their pools was one plumbs under the pool. That made me a bit nervous because even though the chance of a pvc busting or leaking was low if it did occur you would have to open up the pool to fix it.......so I went with the other pool builder after I convinced him to give me knock another 600 off the price I ended up with this:

17’ by 28’; 75 ft perimeter; 333 sqft, 10,600 gallons;
3-deck jets, 3- hydro therapy jets
(1) Hayward 2 Horsepower, 2 Speed
(1) Hayward pump Horsepower TBD to run therapy jets on separate pump
(1) Hayward 60 sqft D.E
(1) Goldline Salt system
(1) Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
(1) Hayward Aqua-Pod w/ P4 controller
Pebble Tech - Pebble sheen (Black Onyx)
12" raised pool with 18" raised back beam wall (16" wide coping)
Excavation, forming and sand bagging is included in the pool base price. Rock excavation is included
1/2” Rebar tied on 10” Centers with a four bar beam and additional bars at all high stress areas if required.
144 sqft decking
All Flagstone on raised walls, decking, topping and coping sealed with 40sk sealant
1/4 point down of my loan rate ($450 value and considerable interest savings over life of loan)
5x8 sundeck
two in pool benches

$39,800.

Stake out is next week.....I'll take pictures

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.