Cannot find liquid chlorine on Leslie's web site.

Jun 20, 2014
Houston, TX
Just read in another, older (March) thread that someone purchased at Leslie's a 2.5 gal tote of 10% for $4.75. Earlier today I looked at Leslie's web site for liquid chlorine and all I saw was tablets. Have they discontinued it? The best that I could find here in Houston was 3 gallons of Chlorox at Sam's for $8.99.

For some unknown reason Leslie's in the greater Houston area does not sell liquid chlorine. There have even been reports of them telling folks it is illegal in the state of Texas, which is untrue. You may be able to find it at a mom and pop pool store but I doubt the price will be any bargain. I don't believe Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace Hardware sell enough to keep a fresh stock on hand, and HD and Lowe's store theirs out in the heat of the garden center. The best price I have found is Aldi's 8% bleach in 64 ounce jugs for $1.39. What part of Houston are you in?

zea3 said:
For some unknown reason Leslie's in the greater Houston area does not sell liquid chlorine.
Same goes for DFW area. In fact, based on other posts I have read, Leslie's doesn't sell liquid chlorine anywhere in Texas (yet they do in other states). My guess is that some sort of regulation is in play, but it is certainly not illegal.

Best bet is to stick with fresh 8-8.25% bleach. Aldi's, warehouse clubs, grocery stores, and WalMart are your best bets since they store it in a climate-controlled area and the product turnover is high. Since bleach strength was upped from 6% to 8.25%, the inability to find higher % liquid bleach has become less of an issue for me. I have found 10% at Home Depot, but it was stored in the garden center which is exposed to heat. It had also apparently been sitting around for a while and had lost some of its strength which was confirmed when I dosed the pool based on 10% strength but the rise in FC was though I had dosed with a 6% product. Lesson learned...Main thing is to get fresh product.

For some unknown reason Leslie's in the greater Houston area does not sell liquid chlorine. There have even been reports of them telling folks it is illegal in the state of Texas, which is untrue. You may be able to find it at a mom and pop pool store but I doubt the price will be any bargain. I don't believe Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace Hardware sell enough to keep a fresh stock on hand, and HD and Lowe's store theirs out in the heat of the garden center. The best price I have found is Aldi's 8% bleach in 64 ounce jugs for $1.39. What part of Houston are you in?

That's pretty cheap. I just picked up HEB concentrated (8.25) for 2.39 / gallon.

Woodlands.

And there is always the handy "cost per oz of chlorine" calculator so you can compare the actual cost of the chlorine in the bottle from a 64 oz 8% bottle to a 128 oz 12.5% bottle or whatever combination you run across without breaking a finger pushing buttons on your phones calculator trying to figure it out.
Just input cost, size and strength and it give you cost per oz of chlorine. http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/

Nonsense, it is certainly available in Texas. Heck it is manufactured in TX.... I get Liquid Shock at Leslie's in The Woodlands, TX. This is 10% strength, sold in a 4 gallon case. About $16 as I recall.

I suspect that if you ask for "liquid chlorine" the kid at the counter is perhaps not clever enough to know that is the same as "Liquid Shock". The store here in The Woodlands was the former Warehouse Pool Supply and the staff there were smarter than the average bear. Not certain they retained all of that staff, however.

Our warehouse pool supply sold it too, then Leslie's bought them out. I bet once they sell all their existing stock they don't get any more.

I liked WPS because I could get stuff there I couldn't get at Leslie's. Those days are gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.