Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cannot find liquid chlorine on Leslie's web site.

1. Back To Top    #1

Cannot find liquid chlorine on Leslie's web site.

Just read in another, older (March) thread that someone purchased at Leslie's a 2.5 gal tote of 10% for $4.75. Earlier today I looked at Leslie's web site for liquid chlorine and all I saw was tablets. Have they discontinued it? The best that I could find here in Houston was 3 gallons of Chlorox at Sam's for $8.99.
    10000 gallon in-ground, kidney-shaped, plaster pool built in 1965. Original Nautilus NS-24 fDE filter, replacement Hayward RS 750 pump. Located in Houston, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cannot find liquid chlorine on Leslie's web site.

Liquid chlorine can't be shipped normally, so they don't sell it on the web. Only stores in certain states carry liquid chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a hazmat shipping issue. If you can't find it online as an "in stores only" item, try calling them.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. I have been to other web sites that listed products that cannot be shipped, available at store only, how much trouble would it be for Leslie's to do the same?
    10000 gallon in-ground, kidney-shaped, plaster pool built in 1965. Original Nautilus NS-24 fDE filter, replacement Hayward RS 750 pump. Located in Houston, TX

5. Back To Top    #5

For some unknown reason Leslie's in the greater Houston area does not sell liquid chlorine. There have even been reports of them telling folks it is illegal in the state of Texas, which is untrue. You may be able to find it at a mom and pop pool store but I doubt the price will be any bargain. I don't believe Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace Hardware sell enough to keep a fresh stock on hand, and HD and Lowe's store theirs out in the heat of the garden center. The best price I have found is Aldi's 8% bleach in 64 ounce jugs for $1.39. What part of Houston are you in?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    For some unknown reason Leslie's in the greater Houston area does not sell liquid chlorine.
    Same goes for DFW area. In fact, based on other posts I have read, Leslie's doesn't sell liquid chlorine anywhere in Texas (yet they do in other states). My guess is that some sort of regulation is in play, but it is certainly not illegal.

Best bet is to stick with fresh 8-8.25% bleach. Aldi's, warehouse clubs, grocery stores, and WalMart are your best bets since they store it in a climate-controlled area and the product turnover is high. Since bleach strength was upped from 6% to 8.25%, the inability to find higher % liquid bleach has become less of an issue for me. I have found 10% at Home Depot, but it was stored in the garden center which is exposed to heat. It had also apparently been sitting around for a while and had lost some of its strength which was confirmed when I dosed the pool based on 10% strength but the rise in FC was though I had dosed with a 6% product. Lesson learned...Main thing is to get fresh product.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    For some unknown reason Leslie's in the greater Houston area does not sell liquid chlorine. There have even been reports of them telling folks it is illegal in the state of Texas, which is untrue. You may be able to find it at a mom and pop pool store but I doubt the price will be any bargain. I don't believe Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace Hardware sell enough to keep a fresh stock on hand, and HD and Lowe's store theirs out in the heat of the garden center. The best price I have found is Aldi's 8% bleach in 64 ounce jugs for $1.39. What part of Houston are you in?
    That's pretty cheap. I just picked up HEB concentrated (8.25) for 2.39 / gallon.

Woodlands.
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

And there is always the handy "cost per oz of chlorine" calculator so you can compare the actual cost of the chlorine in the bottle from a 64 oz 8% bottle to a 128 oz 12.5% bottle or whatever combination you run across without breaking a finger pushing buttons on your phones calculator trying to figure it out.
    Just input cost, size and strength and it give you cost per oz of chlorine. http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Nonsense, it is certainly available in Texas. Heck it is manufactured in TX.... I get Liquid Shock at Leslie's in The Woodlands, TX. This is 10% strength, sold in a 4 gallon case. About $16 as I recall.

I suspect that if you ask for "liquid chlorine" the kid at the counter is perhaps not clever enough to know that is the same as "Liquid Shock". The store here in The Woodlands was the former Warehouse Pool Supply and the staff there were smarter than the average bear. Not certain they retained all of that staff, however.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

Our warehouse pool supply sold it too, then Leslie's bought them out. I bet once they sell all their existing stock they don't get any more.

I liked WPS because I could get stuff there I couldn't get at Leslie's. Those days are gone.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!