Free chlorine level low...

sersee

May 23, 2014
South Jersey
Hi all,

Im trying to get the hang of this..I have read the pool school but think I will be reading it over and over until it sinks in. I had posted about opening up to an algae pool(it was our first open). We have a 20 X 40 rectangle pool with a 3ft and 6 ft deep end. I have a salt water system with a hey ward filter.

I was able to clear the algae up and getting every reading to where it should be and we have enjoyed our pool. We had white stuff floating in it that I had posted about because I was afraid it was still dead algae. But am pretty sure it was pollen. But this was at the beginning of the season in May and part of June. The water is clear as anything and it looks great. I haven't seen algae at all.

Any way, we have had thunderstorms that past two nights. I bought a test kit that was recommended here but I don't have it yet so I am still using the strips. I tested my water today since it's clearing up and that rain has stopped. Everything was where it should be except my free chlorine which is barely registering. I know the testing device probably isn't the best...but what does this mean? It's not keeping chlorine or it's battling something to use up the chlorine? It hasn't been sunny the past two days but the water is 88 degrees. Should I worry about this if all other levels are in range?

We have our salt water system at 75% recommended by our pool company. Should we have it set for 100%?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.