Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Non-Stop cloudiness! Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Non-Stop cloudiness! Help!

I posted on here a while back, asking about my pool being cloudy and I couldn't fix it. I was told to get a Taylor testing kit, which I did...here's the results...

FC-10.5 ppm (I shocked it like crazy last night to try and clear it up)
    Comb. Chlorine- .5 ppm
    PH- 7.6
    Alkalinity- 180 ppm
    Calcium Hardness- 275 ppm
    CYA- 0? the test said to put water in until the black dot disappeared; i filled the tube and the dot never disappeared
    Saturation Index- .4

I read the PoolSchool stuff, looked at the calculator, and I don't get a lot of what it was saying. Obviously I think the CYA is a problem, but not sure if that would cause the issues I'm having. Any ideas?? The water isn't really all that cloudy, I can see the bottom, it's just not very clear or blue....greenish tint to it. Been driving me nuts for a month and I'm sick of guessing and pouring money into it (maybe that's why it's green! ha)

The size of your pool in gallons----21,000
    If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)---- AG
    The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.-------cartridge
    If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.------Hayward Power Flo LX, 1.5 HP
    Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.........not sure, here when I bought the house. Would guess 10-12 years old
    What kind/model of water test kit you are using -Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD
    Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner-----none

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Non-Stop cloudiness! Help!

What product have you been using to shock the pool? Do you have any visible algae? Also, please edit your signature and put all your pool information in there. That way it will show up in every post and we don't have to hunt for the information.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks...I haven't been able to find where to add/edit my signature so I just put it on the bottom this time. I've been using liquid chlorine, 12.5%. Dont' see a lot of algae...but I vacuumed it all clear and clean yesterday and there was a little bit on the bottom this morning.

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA- 0? the test said to put water in until the black dot disappeared; i filled the tube and the dot never disappeared
    Just to be sure... you did mix 50-50 pool water and reagent and mixed it first, correct?

If so, then your CYA level is too low. Any chlorine you've been adding has been broken down by the sun within hours of adding it, which leaves the remainder of the day for algae to grow.

So... get some CYA in the pool - target 30 -- and keep the FC above 12 until you pass all three tests.

Complete instructions are in Shock Level And Maintain in Pool School.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, I did it just as the test instructions said to. Is there something that causes the CYA levels to be off like that, just so I know in the future?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dpeat14 View Post
    Yeah, I did it just as the test instructions said to. Is there something that causes the CYA levels to be off like that, just so I know in the future?
    It seems to be soil bacteria and deep freezing, but nobody knows for sure. Haven't seen any reports of disappearing CYA from California.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Deep freezing...as in one of the coldest winters in Chicago history??? haha. Thanks again, I'll try adding some CYA. What is the best course of procedure with that? Should I wait until the chlorine drops or just put it in now? All at once or a little at a time and wait? Sorry for the questions, this is all brand new to me.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dpeat14 View Post
    Deep freezing...as in one of the coldest winters in Chicago history??? haha. Thanks again, I'll try adding some CYA. What is the best course of procedure with that? Should I wait until the chlorine drops or just put it in now? All at once or a little at a time and wait? Sorry for the questions, this is all brand new to me.
    Tie it in a sock and set it in the skimmer. Don't wait for it to dissolve, keep chlorinating. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals

9. Back To Top    #9

Interesting...so put some in a sock and let it sit in the basket, and don't clean the filter for a week? How would I vacuum then, with a sock in the filter? And is the pool safe to swim in during this time? Thanks again

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, swimming is fine while adding CYA. However, you shouldn't swim unless you can clearly see the bottom of the pool.

Due to your high TA, I recommend lowering PH to around 7.0 once, and then lowering it to 7.2 each time it gets up to 7.8 until the TA comes down to something more reasonable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks...we can see the bottom, the water just isn't real pretty. I looked but can't a proper range for the TA...where should the TA be?

12. Back To Top    #12

Less than 24 hours after adding the cya and my water is actually blue and I have no algae on the bottom! Thanks for the tips on here...I'll be coming back next time I screw something up! haha.