Raypak Heater Rollout Switch Keeps Blowing

Nov 19, 2013
We bought a new Raypak heater this year and have had nothing but trouble with the rollout switch blowing. The pool guy installed it then we hired a plumber to put in the gas line. So first he put a gas line from the heater to the house connecting it to the main gas line ($600). Switch blows and we are told that we are not getting enough gas so we need to run a separate line from where the gas comes in and connect it to the first line ($800). Switch blows again and we are now told that because we built a shed around the heater the heater is getting too hot and we need to run a stove pipe type thing from the heater out the top of the shed to vent it ($250). Switch blows again (mind you each switch also costs $25) and we are now told that the first line wasn't big enough so we need to dig up and put in a bigger one in ($200). This is assured to solve our problem. Guess what? Switch blew again. So still without heater, water still too cold to swim and it is 4th of July weekend and we have company coming. Now they want to hot wire it so that the heater will run and therefore bypass the switch. I don't think we should be bypassing anything since we paid $1200 for the heater it should work the way it is supposed to. Seems to me that there is something wrong with the heater? I have tried to do some research and it seems that this issue is caused by too much wind? Please help me if you can. I am so frustrated and OUT OF MONEY!

Thanks!
Alysia

You need to call Raypak and get a warranty tech out there. I can assure you I install Raypaks all the time and do NOT have these issues. I'm guessing you did the install yourself? Any time you put a heater inside a building, you MUST vent to the outside plus you have to make sure you do have fresh air coming in to allow the heater combustion to work. I would also check to make sure the unit is not sooted up. That is the usual culprit to a roll out blowing. That or you have gotten spider webs in the burners, not that common on Raypak. Is it that windy where you are? I don't see your location listed. Also, what's the heaters BTU's?

The pool guy installed it and we had a plumber run the gas lines. We are in Michigan so don't think it is that windy. We left doors to the shed we built around it open and we vented it with stove piping out the top. I will have my dad look to see if there is soot build up and definitely call for warranty tech on Monday. Thanks for the feedback!

The pool guy installed it and we had a plumber run the gas lines. We are in Michigan so don't think it is that windy. We left doors to the shed we built around it open and we vented it with stove piping out the top. I will have my dad look to see if there is soot build up and definitely call for warranty tech on Monday. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm having the same problem with my new Raypak, did you ever get it running properly yet?

A rollout switch gets tripped flames roll out from under and up towards the rollout. I would suggest removing the front panel and then turn the unit on and see if the flames are indeed blowing back out towards the front. If so, I would check to see if there are spider webs in burner. You can use a low pressure can of air to blow them out.

A rollout switch gets tripped flames roll out from under and up towards the rollout. I would suggest removing the front panel and then turn the unit on and see if the flames are indeed blowing back out towards the front. If so, I would check to see if there are spider webs in burner. You can use a low pressure can of air to blow them out.
I know this is an older post, but hoping to get some additional info. I've suffered from blown out rollout switches almost every summer for the past few years. I call a local pool service company and they come out and "clean out" the heater, install a new switch and it runs fine for a while. Unfortunately they keep showing up when I'm not home and I never get to see exactly what they do. They keep saying that I need to ensure there are no spider webs or debris in the heater, yet I've done all I can to clean it out and it still occurs. I'm wondering just what "cleaning out" the heater means. Just how much do I take apart to get a good cleaning inside? I don't want to mess with too many parts and then not know how to put something back together properly and make matters worse. But I'm pretty mechanical and don't mind a DIY project if I know just what I'm looking for. All advice is welcome!

The cleaning is usually cleaning the heat exchanger and assuring there are no obstructions, cleaning the gas orifices, cleaning burners. Also make sure the there is nothing sitting onto of the burners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.