Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed pump + heater

1. Back To Top    #1

2 speed pump + heater

What is the best way to use a gas heater?
    with the pump on high or low?

I have 1HP 2 speed pump with a hayward heater (100K), when the pump is on low the heater will not turn on unless i put the pump on high and set it back to low, also in the low position the heater pump very hot water into the pool, can this be an issue with the SWG? can it damage the cell in any way?

When the pump is on high i think i need to open the bypass valve to the heater because the flow is too high.
    Our Build 2016 14.5' x 26' IG Pebble, 14.5K Gal. 3.5' - 6.5' deep, 5 returns, 2 Skimmers, Hayward VS pump, Hayward 525 Cartridge Filter, Hayward E-Command 4, Heliocol Solar, Hayward LED Light, Paramount Ultraviolet, Polaris 280, AquaRite Pro, T-CELL-15, Sense and Dispense (HL-CHEM), Ph Dispense System (AQL-CHEM3) , Taylor K-2006 with SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 speed pump + heater

Heaters need a certain amount of water pressure to operate. I take it your heater will still function on the low speed pump setting. IMHO I would use the high speed setting.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

3. Back To Top    #3

It is normal for the temperature rise to increase with lower flow rates but you shouldn't be getting more than about a 8 degree rise on low speed.

But from an efficiency standpoint, high speed is better.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

On a two speed pump you have to have the pump on the high speed in order for the heater to fire. The pumps usually do not push enough water on low speed. And yes you might have to bypass some of the water because of the pump speed.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I see you have two threads on this topic?

Topics merged. JasonLion
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,