Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: brown "dust" on pool bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

brown "dust" on pool bottom

I have brown "dust" thats all over the pool floor and in the corners of my pool. Its not slimy, it can be swept away very easily then settles to the bottom again. Im thinking this cannot possibly be algae as the water is clear and I've maintained my chlorine diligently. I have not had CC in weeks. Could this possibly be pollen? I have many trees in my yard-large oaks/pines and who knows what else. I have a Taylor 2006 kit and these are my results.
    Ch 3.5
    CC 0
    Ph 7.6
    Alk 40
    CYA 30
    36,000 IG
    vinyl liner
    DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: brown "dust" on pool bottom

Could always be pollen. Is this immediately following a rain or higher winds.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not particularly. Its been breezy but no high winds yet- arthur is on his way. I just noticed this over the last few days. Am i correct that this cannot possibly be algae ?
    36,000 IG
    vinyl liner
    DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Does pollen just vacuum up?
    36,000 IG
    vinyl liner
    DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Depends on if your particular vacuum will get it or not. Also, you CAN have algae with NO CC quite easily.
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Look at the patio furniture and windowsills and dark colored cars. If they're covered with dust and pollen , so is your pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Check your ladders, lights and stairs. I also had no CCs nor any visible signs of algae, just a light dust on my floor every few days. Pulled the ladder, no algae on the outside, but the inside was chocked full, cleaned it using a 50/50 bleach water solution and the "dust" went away.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

8. Back To Top    #8

How do I know if its algae or pollen? I haven't noticed a whole lot of pollen covering the patio furniture now that you mention it.
    36,000 IG
    vinyl liner
    DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Im just confused. I thought I had a handle on this pool chemical thing. I thought you couldn't get algae if you kept FC within target range? When I opened my pool I had a CYA at 0- how does that happen? When I closed my pool it was very high.(like over 150) Where did it go? Someone mentioned soil bacteria and ammonia? My pool sparkled last week. What happened? Im going to clean my ladders like pepsiholic recommended. This happened last year and I almost lost it!
    36,000 IG
    vinyl liner
    DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Some pools get the CYA to ammonia conversion, and I think some pools lose CYA due to water displacement over the winter if they had a lot of heavy snow. When you open the pool for the summer you should let the water circulate for an hour before testing. Uncirculated water can also give false test results. Run an overnight chlorine loss test to see if you need to slam the pool. Cleaning the ladder is also a good idea.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Unfortunately, it is still possible to get an algae bloom on rare ocassions even with your FC in range. The cya test is only accurate to within +/- 10 points either way. Target your minimum for 1 point FC higher perhaps from your cya reading.

12. Back To Top    #12

I would need to slam the pool with a CC of 0? My CC has maintained 0 since I SLAMMED and did the OCLT a month ago. Actually it may have been 0.2 1 time. I test everyday and maintain my CL diligently. I may need to SLAM the pool again? I will do whatever the recommendation is but Im just very confused right now. I want to understand whats going on.
    36,000 IG
    vinyl liner
    DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Hurricane Arthur is over RI right now, we are to expect 3 inches of rain. I think Ill take the ladders off-clean them, brush the pool, add clarifier(this dust seems very light/hard to vacuum) and start from scratch. I'll backwash this dusty substance to waste, then test and add the appropriate chemicals. Ill probably SLAM the pool. Does this sound like a plan?
    36,000 IG
    vinyl liner
    DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

The OCLT will tell you if you need to slam or not. If the FC holds within 1ppm overnight then you do not need to slam. Go ahead and check the CYA level again just to confirm it is at 30 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Is it possible to lose FC overnight and maintain CC at 0? If so then where does the FC go?
    36,000 IG
    vinyl liner
    DE filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, CC is constantly created and broken down. That's why .5 CC is not considered a problem. It is possible to test 0 CC and half an hour later test with .5 CC and a little while after that have 0 CC again. CC is the waste product of chlorine consumption. When CC levels are higher they take longer to break down and you see the side effects of "chlorine smell" and itching, burning eyes.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

I have a similar situation. My observation and comment is, I live in farm country. They're cutting wheat, working ground and replanting right across the road. I attribute some of my dust to that. Also, before I started adjusting to the TFP method I heavily treated with dichloro granules. When I dump my polaris bag, there seems to be a white-ish and gray sediment. Since I stopped using granule and just treat with BBB. I'm getting less waste off of the bottom. I snorkled my vac hose around today. Mixed results, worked ok in the shallow end but I'm too buoyant to stay on the bottom of deep end.
    Pool is cloudy but clearing. I'll check my ladder tomorrow.
    Mark A. Shaw
    40K, IG, Vinyl, DE, Purex Triton Challenger 1 hp 75 gpm, PT Nautilus FNS 60, Polaris PB4-60, w/P360, Test Kit: TF-100 & Aqua Chek strips, Blue elec. pool cover, 16.5 gal Kegerator