Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: going on vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

going on vacation

Any tips on preparing a pool for a few days of no maintenance? I don't have a timer yet and I don't want it to run the whole time I am gone. It will only be off for three days. Can I just clean it really good before I leave and boost the FC to SLAM levels?
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: going on vacation

That sounds like about all you can do. Not circulating for 3 days is certainly not ideal and could result in low FC spots in the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I notice from your sig that you have a 2 speed pump. Why not just leave it circulating on low speed. I think if you boosted to shock level AND kept up circulation, it would work for you. But as Jason above said, no circulation is taking a risk.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Honestly, my concern is what if a hose bursts or comes loose and I burn out the pump? Not sure how likely this is. Just don't like the idea of running it that long with someone checking on it.
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

5. Back To Top    #5

I was out of town for 5 days with the pump shut off and the pool uncovered. I raised my pool to mustard shock level, let it circulate for an hour and then turned everything off. It was after 7 pm when we got home and unloaded the car, so I didn't test until the next day. I still had .5 FC in the water. Bumped FC to normal target level and all is good. I just need to get in there and vacuum.image.jpg
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, Zea3. I still have a couple of weeks to decide pump or no pump. Good to know it can be done.