First Pool..Ever, totally clueless!

So I have read the pool school and ordered my TF-100 test kit (which arrived yesterday). Busted out the directions and went to work..the results are as follows:

PH = 8.2
FC = 10.5
CC = 2.0
TC = 12.5
CH = 250
TA = 140
CYA = More than zero, less than 20 (the dot looked like the midpoint test dot pic posted on the Taylor website, when the tube was filled to the top)

I have a nylon filled with CYA tied to ladder (put in the pool last Saturday). The ladder is located midway around the pool from the return and skimmer.

PH was 6.8 last night and I added about a pound of PH up. Chlorine was 0.5 ppm last night and I added a gallon of liquid chlorine. (These measurements from the K-1000 basic kit) I'm thinking I added to much of both?

I also have two sticks of trichloro-s-triazinetrione (sold as Brite Stix) in the skimmer.

I feel like we have thrown everything but the kitchen sink in the pool! My main concerns are..is it safe to swim? And what do I do to get the CYA level up and the FC down?

The pool gets full sun from about 11AM - 8PM...not sure if that matters?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the forum. Either squeeze the nylon with cya in it or move it to your skimmer. FC will fall soon enough on it's own. CC of 2.0 says you need to SLAM it. Read ABCs of pool chemistry and how to SLAM it in pool school.

Thanks for all the advice! I will move the CYA as the sock is still pretty full, at least half or better of what I put in the pool to start, perhaps this is why we are having such a hard time maintaining a consistent chlorine read. I read the ABC's of chemistry and it would appear, based on the CYA chart, that the pool is already at shock level. How long should I wait to retest for CYA...a week?

You should have some level or CYA show up on a test now if you've had it in since last Saturday. Just so you have an idea how long it takes to dissolve, I've never gone longer than 24 hours for a sock of CYA to empty. Squeeze it often and it won't take long. Then treat your pool as if it contains the CYA level that pool math calculated for you. Then test it next Saturday when you're sure it's all dissolved. Remember, just because it's out of the sock doesn't mean it will show up on the test right away.

Just to update, I moved the sock in front of the return as suggested and voila....it is now just about empty! Lots of sun today so I am sure that will help eat up some of the FC in the pool and bring the level down. Poolmath suggests muriatic acid to bring my pH down...is this something I need to purchase from the pool store? Hard to believe they didn't sell it to me yet!! lol

TF-100 Week 2 Results and Questions

Merged by moderator. Please keep your related posts together for continuity of story. Thanks, jblizzle

Our first test a week ago showed CYA of less than 20. Helpful recommendations from the forum said to move the stabilizer sock in front of the return and test again in one week. We moved the sock and the week 2 (testing done on 7/12)results are as follows:

PH = 7.5
FC = 4.5
CC = 0 :cool:
TC = 4.5
CH = 175
TA = 110
CYA = 20-ish:confused: I could still very faintly see the black dot @ 20. Reading was taken outside in bright sunlight with the sun behind me so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right?

I'm headed to the pool store today to pick up more stabilizer to hopefully raise the CYA to 30 using poolmath recommendations.

Sunday I tested the Chlorine & PH using the K-1000 and the chlorine was between 3-5 and PH was still 7.5. (No swimming took place on Saturday) The kids and their friends went swimming for about 4 hours yesterday and when I tested the water this afternoon the chlorine was 1 and the PH was 7.8. Is it possible that the PH raised that much just from aeration produced by the kids yesterday? I'm sure we are blasting through the chlorine due to lower than ideal CYA??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.