Floundering

Jun 27, 2014
Virginia Beach
New Member here! Happy to be aboard. 3rd year with this pool, year 1 fine, year 2 floundered, 3rd attempt, drained pool and started again. Received my TFTest kit and used Pool Calculator to add chemicals. Added chlorine 10% HomeDepot, powdered CYA (in stocking), Calcium & Borax. 24 hours later (and one tropical storm), zero chlorine. Help!

Is the CYA result a measured result or calculated. I'm just confused on the timeline. If you added your CYA yesterday, then added Chlorine, and then no chlorine added for next 24 hours, you could very well have 0 FC, as the CYA may not be dissolved. At peak noontime sun you would lose about 50% of your chlorine per hour (taken from one chem geek's posts). So after ifyour FC level was 10, 1 hour you have 5 ppm remaining, after another hour, less than 3. So it doesn't take long to lose it with no CYA.

I have added 128 oz. of HD chlorine (11% available chlorine) and will retest in an hour. I brought this pool back from only a few inches of water (had algae & debris) removed as much as possible & refilled. Slammed pool and added about 10 oz. of Cya, I had left over. Waited for testing kit. Tested - 0 CYA at that time. Used pool calculator - added chlorine, massive amount of cya in stocking, calcium and borax, as advised. Chlorine has been added daily. Added nothing for 24-36 hours, after Arthur passed, I tested this a.m......(lot's of uv yesterday, none this a.m.) that's when I got 0 on my chlorine reading. I used the cya test kit to find my reading on it. Thanks Everyone!

I just recalculate and found I overdid the chlorine (panicked) but the UV's are pumping here so perhaps it will burn off....Also, it indicates I need to add more Calcium. As this is a new addition and in powder form, should I wait a few days before actually adding that?

I have added 128 oz. of HD chlorine (11% available chlorine) and will retest in an hour. I brought this pool back from only a few inches of water (had algae & debris) removed as much as possible & refilled. Slammed pool and added about 10 oz. of Cya, I had left over. Waited for testing kit. Tested - 0 CYA at that time. Used pool calculator - added chlorine, massive amount of cya in stocking, calcium and borax, as advised. Chlorine has been added daily. Added nothing for 24-36 hours, after Arthur passed, I tested this a.m......(lot's of uv yesterday, none this a.m.) that's when I got 0 on my chlorine reading. I used the cya test kit to find my reading on it. Thanks Everyone!

I just recalculate and found I overdid the chlorine (panicked) but the UV's are pumping here so perhaps it will burn off....Also, it indicates I need to add more Calcium. As this is a new addition and in powder form, should I wait a few days before actually adding that?
You don't need Calcium for a vinyl pool. There's no plaster to damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.