Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Super Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Hayward Super Pump

Hello - So I just went through and replaced the gasket, impeller, seals, etc. via a maintenance/go kit. I used this video:
    http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...haft_seal.aspx
    &
    https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/#in...6c3a82b1cbddff

Which helped me every step of the way. Turned on the pump, still behaving the same. I had to work up enough water between the skimmer and drains/jets to get the pump to work, but the water is still coming out of the bottom pretty heavily, not dripping. It's more of a stream of water than a drip. Any ideas what I should try next? It's really hard to see where the leak is coming from since it's on the bottom, but it's definitely what seems like in the area of the bolts that connect the motor and stuff. Sorry I'm not so pool savvy. Any ideas?

I attached pictures so give an idea of the type of pump I'm using.

Thanks!IMG_2710.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Super Pump

Welcome to TFP!

That kit should have all the seals correct? I would make sure one of the o rings did not slip out of place.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Jason - Here is the kit I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It contained
    Housing O-ring/gasket
    Diffuser
    Lid O-ring
    Pump Seal

Are you saying I should take it apart again? What should I be double-checking? Sorry for being incompetent here

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you be more specific about exactly where out is leaking.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Given that it is leaking, yes taking it apart again seems like a good idea. Hopefully you can spot the problem area.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Given that it is leaking, yes taking it apart again seems like a good idea. Hopefully you can spot the problem area.
    Jason - I did just that and I found the problem! It's actually a big crack on the bottom of the Housing Strainer. I figured this out while filling it with water again and noticing it leaking without the water running. So I unfastened it from all the connectors, pulled it right up, put it on a table, put water in it and there it was. After then removing the water and wiping the area dry, there was the problem. Wish I had figured this out in the first place! Would have saved me the money on the kit and lots of wasted time! LOL.. But now I know how to take apart this rig

Have a look at the crack in the attached image.image.jpg

Thanks for the help!

7. Back To Top    #7

Bummer. You going to replace the housing or get a new pump? If you go new, look into 2 speed motors.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Really wasn't looking to buy new. I'm a renter and don't own the pool. My only responsibility is that the liner remains in tact. Honestly I'm going to try and fix it if I can. The crack isn't visible on the inside. What are some epoxy like products I should look at?

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, then I would just tell the owner that you need a new pump because this is cracked. Not sure how well it will repair.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Well, then I would just tell the owner that you need a new pump because this is cracked. Not sure how well it will repair.
    Sorry, I stated that incorrectly. Long story short, he wont replace it. Are there any sort of bonding/epoxy products I can try?

11. Back To Top    #11

I'll bet some JB Weld will fix it, if it's metal...which it looks like in the picture. They make several variations of it. Clean it REAL good, slather some on and let it cure fully.

Available at Lowes, HD or just about anywhere that has a hardware department.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Thimble. I picked some up, applied it and letting dry and I'll give it another go tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes! Thanks!