TA levels and FC Issues Possible

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
Hello All,

Looking on here I see the recommended level of TA is between 90-120.

Here are my test results

pH-7.5
FC-2.5
CC-.5
TA-60
CH-225
CYA-35

My pH level has been sitting at 7.5 for about 3 weeks. I am guessing the levels here are just recommended but not the right as each pool is different. So even though my TA level seems a little low but my pH level is holding then I should not worry?

I am going by the phrase if it is not broke don't fix it, but wanted to get other opinions here. I have not added water in this time either with the exception of rain water and the pool is out in the open so no debris gets in.

My other issues and I think I just need to bump up my CYA level. I would usually lose about 1-2 PPM daily even in the hot weather. Now I am starting to lose 2.5-3. Now my wife uses the pool pretty much all the time but that is only one person and really just floats around on floats no real swimming. Occasionally there are about 3 other people in the pool. No one used the pool yesterday and I lost 3.5.

So I have two thoughts

Do a OCLT test just to make sure there is no algae that is just unseen.
Bump up the CYA to 50.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. TA is perhaps the least critical of the parameters for which we test. With a pool chlorinated with bleach, the guideline (it's not a hard,fast rule) is 70-90 so your pool isa close enough with 60 that I doubt I would do anything to it.

2. AN OCLT is probably in order to check for organics but that is in NO WAY related to TA.

3. Raising you CYA is likely a good idea as well but keep all three of these things separated......they are not related.

An Update,

I have been doing a OCLT test for 3 days in a row now and I keep losing 1.5, which is .5 over the limit and no CC.

I dropped my pH level down to 7.2 yesterday so hopefully tomorrow I will be pass the OCLT. It is just frustrating when all appears to be well but it is not. I assume the 1.0 FC loss overnight is a rule and there are no exceptions to that rule?

Other test results are above with the exception of pH is around 7.2 and CH is around 300 now.

Thanks in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will get one put up. It never really got green or anything it was always crystal clear so that was the confusion.

One question though. I went from 16.5 PPM of FC and 0 CC yesterday morning to 11.5 PPM of FC and 0 CC 24 hours later with no pool use. Does that sound normal because it was so high to start with? The only thing I added was 2 lbs of CYA to bring up my CYA level to around 50 and there was a slight rain but only enough to get the ground wet. I am just used to my FC usage even with swimmers to be between 1-2.

I will get one put up. It never really got green or anything it was always crystal clear so that was the confusion.

One question though. I went from 16.5 PPM of FC and 0 CC yesterday morning to 11.5 PPM of FC and 0 CC 24 hours later with no pool use. Does that sound normal because it was so high to start with? The only thing I added was 2 lbs of CYA to bring up my CYA level to around 50 and there was a slight rain but only enough to get the ground wet. I am just used to my FC usage even with swimmers to be between 1-2.
That does sound okay.

If CYA is 30, you'd maintain FC between 3 and 5 or thereabouts. From 5 to 3 is 40% loss. From 16.5 to 11.5 is 30% loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.