Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Those step weights...

1. Back To Top    #1

Those step weights...

since they are the source of my alage problem that is starting to occur. Should I take them out and give them a good scrubbing? I added 7 (96oz) bottles of ultra bleach and poured 3 of them directly behind the step area. Would that be sufficent to kill the algae?
    *~ Laura ~*
    27x52 Aquasphere Conquest AGP (approx.17,100 gal)
    1 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump & SD-40 Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Those step weights...

Last year (I think?) we had a discussion on Pool Forum about step weights. What we all figured out to be the better way is to fill 4 1 gallon bleach bottles with Sac crete (or similar) add water, let harden, tie a rope to the handle (for easier installation and removal) and use them to weigh down the steps Each bottle should weigh ~ 12.5 lbs and by securing the ropes somewhere at the top of the stairs, removal is very easy!

I would hope that 'nuking' the stair area would kill the algae in there If not, with the jug method I mentioned, getting in there every few weeks would be easier and help to assure that the steps don't become a constant algae source
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Those step weights...

Thanks, I made them the way AnnaK mentioned. Actually its not very hard to remove them at all. I just send my 11 yr old in to do the honors. I am going to go ahead and remove them tomorrow morning and scrub them real good and the pool wall and floors. Hopefully this is take care of the problem before it gets out of control. I freak out when I see algae, because I know how fast it can overtake a pool.
    *~ Laura ~*
    27x52 Aquasphere Conquest AGP (approx.17,100 gal)
    1 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump & SD-40 Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added