My first test results with the Tft-100 for a Newbie

DSK

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
Havre De Grace, Maryland
Hello,
Today I tried my new test kit. We had lots of rain last night and I know my chlorine numbers are really low but I decided to wait until after all the rain this evening before I add the 12% Chlorine I bought at the pool store. Please advise as the best approach and what to attack first, I'd like to start a modified version of the BBB because of my work I still will be using my chlorinator and Trichlor pucks along with Liquid chlorine at least until I run out or get the hang of this. I also decided to take in a water sample to see how I compared with the pool store. They use some kind of analysis machine there. I usually put in about 7 pucks in the chlorinator and have it set to 2-2.5 on the settings. I have been checking once a week and usually there is still some in there. I have been running my system at night for savings for 10 hrs. I have a sand filter that I have been backwashing about every other week. As far as the overall pool water other than a little cloudiness in the deep end, the water feels great, no scaling that i can see on walls. Thanks for reading.

My Test with TFT-100
FC .5
Decided not to continue other chlorine test because It was slow
PH 6.8
CH 375
TA 30
CYA 55

Store Pool Water Analysis Report
FC .11
TC .29
Combine Chlorine .18
Ph 6.8
Hardness 191
Alkaninity 34
CYA 67
Copper .4
Iron .1
Borate 8

DSK, Welcome. :wave:

You are on the verge of an algae outbreak and are already at the recommended limit for CYA. I would caution your continued use of the pucks and even go as far as urging you to stop. Your pH and TA are low because of your habitual use of said pucks.

Because your deep end is cloudy and your FC is so low, I would highly suggest you SLAM your pool as outlined here :lookhere: SLAMing Your Pool. You should be running a SLAM anywhere from 20-24PPM and brushing the pool daily until you pass the Overnight FC Loss Test.

So I am going to Slam my pool starting tomorrow evening. My pH has been holding steady but a little low running at 6.8. Is it ok to Slam with the Ph at that level or should I get that higher first?

My Test with TFT-100
FC .5
Decided not to continue other chlorine test because It was slow
PH 6.8
CH 375
TA 30
CYA 55
After you get the pH to 7.2ish, retest the TA and if it is not within range, use baking soda to get it to 70ish -
Do all this before you start the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.