Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first test results with the Tft-100 for a Newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

My first test results with the Tft-100 for a Newbie

Hello,
    Today I tried my new test kit. We had lots of rain last night and I know my chlorine numbers are really low but I decided to wait until after all the rain this evening before I add the 12% Chlorine I bought at the pool store. Please advise as the best approach and what to attack first, I'd like to start a modified version of the BBB because of my work I still will be using my chlorinator and Trichlor pucks along with Liquid chlorine at least until I run out or get the hang of this. I also decided to take in a water sample to see how I compared with the pool store. They use some kind of analysis machine there. I usually put in about 7 pucks in the chlorinator and have it set to 2-2.5 on the settings. I have been checking once a week and usually there is still some in there. I have been running my system at night for savings for 10 hrs. I have a sand filter that I have been backwashing about every other week. As far as the overall pool water other than a little cloudiness in the deep end, the water feels great, no scaling that i can see on walls. Thanks for reading.

My Test with TFT-100
    FC .5
    Decided not to continue other chlorine test because It was slow
    PH 6.8
    CH 375
    TA 30
    CYA 55

Store Pool Water Analysis Report
    FC .11
    TC .29
    Combine Chlorine .18
    Ph 6.8
    Hardness 191
    Alkaninity 34
    CYA 67
    Copper .4
    Iron .1
    Borate 8
    27k gal, IG gunite, 1hp Century A.O. Smith pool pump,Triton II Sand Filter, Polaris PB4-60 3/4 HP, Polaris 380 cleaner, Hayward CL200 Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My first test results with the Tft-100 for a Newbie

DSK, Welcome.

You are on the verge of an algae outbreak and are already at the recommended limit for CYA. I would caution your continued use of the pucks and even go as far as urging you to stop. Your pH and TA are low because of your habitual use of said pucks.

Because your deep end is cloudy and your FC is so low, I would highly suggest you SLAM your pool as outlined here SLAMing Your Pool. You should be running a SLAM anywhere from 20-24PPM and brushing the pool daily until you pass the Overnight FC Loss Test.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

So I am going to Slam my pool starting tomorrow evening. My pH has been holding steady but a little low running at 6.8. Is it ok to Slam with the Ph at that level or should I get that higher first?
    27k gal, IG gunite, 1hp Century A.O. Smith pool pump,Triton II Sand Filter, Polaris PB4-60 3/4 HP, Polaris 380 cleaner, Hayward CL200 Chlorinator.

4. Back To Top    #4

You do not know how low the pH actually is. You should raise it to 7.2 before SLAMing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DSK View Post
    So I am going to Slam my pool starting tomorrow evening. My pH has been holding steady but a little low running at 6.8. Is it ok to Slam with the Ph at that level or should I get that higher first?
    My Test with TFT-100
    FC .5
    Decided not to continue other chlorine test because It was slow
    PH 6.8
    CH 375
    TA 30
    CYA 55
    After you get the pH to 7.2ish, retest the TA and if it is not within range, use baking soda to get it to 70ish -
    Do all this before you start the SLAM.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies. I still have some Ph up that came with the house and pool.
    I have read that that will raise the TA too but currently my levels TA are low so I guess ill use that and build slowly.