Why I Love Rain

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
Came home today to a pretty good thunderstorm in West Houston and I decided to test the rain water. pH was below 6.8 (bright yellow result--way lighter than the 6.8 color sample) and TA was 10 or less (one drop turned it pink and the color didn't change with the second drop).

With my fill water at CH 150 and TA 220 I love this rain.

The only negative is having to top up my CYA and borates after several big rains.

I don't think I've ever tested rain water. I may have to try that next time we get a down pour just for fun! :mrgreen:

They were calling for rain this past weekend and I was up working trying to beat the rain on Tuesday and it hasn't rained a drop.

The only negative is having to top up my CYA and borates after several big rains.

You shouldn't have to do that at all if your pool is full. CYA and Borates pretty much stay the same unless you remove water and I don't mean by evaporation. Watre loss due to evaporation would make the CYA and Borate levels even higher I would think. Please explain.

If the pool overflows in a large rain you will lose some CYA, borates, FC, and CH due to water displacement.

This. I have a drain at the water line so that when we get a good rain the overflow drains into a French drain in my backyard. The dilution isn't huge but with several good rains I do have to top up CYA and borates.

I ran the full range of tests this morning and the rains this year have given me some of my best numbers yet. CH was 400 and it hasn't been that low since the pool was new. TA was 70 and pH was holding at 7.8. CSI was -.04.

Came home today to a pretty good thunderstorm in West Houston and I decided to test the rain water. pH was below 6.8 (bright yellow result--way lighter than the 6.8 color sample) and TA was 10 or less (one drop turned it pink and the color didn't change with the second drop).

With my fill water at CH 150 and TA 220 I love this rain.

Lucky you! We got .09" yesterday in Meyerland.

0 in Clear Lake! It did thunder for a while, though. People who are not familiar with how much territory Houston covers don't understand how we could have such different weather patterns within the same city!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.