Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why I Love Rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Why I Love Rain

Came home today to a pretty good thunderstorm in West Houston and I decided to test the rain water. pH was below 6.8 (bright yellow result--way lighter than the 6.8 color sample) and TA was 10 or less (one drop turned it pink and the color didn't change with the second drop).

With my fill water at CH 150 and TA 220 I love this rain.

The only negative is having to top up my CYA and borates after several big rains.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why I Love Rain

I don't think I've ever tested rain water. I may have to try that next time we get a down pour just for fun!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

The downpours seem so huge this summer, Casey. You shouldn't have too much trouble clloecting it, ha ha.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

They were calling for rain this past weekend and I was up working trying to beat the rain on Tuesday and it hasn't rained a drop.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by HouTex View Post

The only negative is having to top up my CYA and borates after several big rains.
    You shouldn't have to do that at all if your pool is full. CYA and Borates pretty much stay the same unless you remove water and I don't mean by evaporation. Watre loss due to evaporation would make the CYA and Borate levels even higher I would think. Please explain.
    6,618 gallon above ground Intex Easy Set model 10320 inflatable ring 18' X 48" rubber pool.
    Intex model T633 2,500 GPH single speed 1/2 hp filter pump.
    Rinz-N-Reuz Replacement Filter.
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O.

6. Back To Top    #6

If the pool overflows in a large rain you will lose some CYA, borates, FC, and CH due to water displacement.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    If the pool overflows in a large rain you will lose some CYA, borates, FC, and CH due to water displacement.
    This. I have a drain at the water line so that when we get a good rain the overflow drains into a French drain in my backyard. The dilution isn't huge but with several good rains I do have to top up CYA and borates.

I ran the full range of tests this morning and the rains this year have given me some of my best numbers yet. CH was 400 and it hasn't been that low since the pool was new. TA was 70 and pH was holding at 7.8. CSI was -.04.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by HouTex View Post
    Came home today to a pretty good thunderstorm in West Houston and I decided to test the rain water. pH was below 6.8 (bright yellow result--way lighter than the 6.8 color sample) and TA was 10 or less (one drop turned it pink and the color didn't change with the second drop).

With my fill water at CH 150 and TA 220 I love this rain.

Lucky you! We got .09" yesterday in Meyerland.
    10000 gallon in-ground, kidney-shaped, plaster pool built in 1965. Original Nautilus NS-24 fDE filter, replacement Hayward RS 750 pump. Located in Houston, TX

9. Back To Top    #9

Lucky indeed. Almost 1.5 inches here in the Memorial area.

10. Back To Top    #10

0 in Clear Lake! It did thunder for a while, though. People who are not familiar with how much territory Houston covers don't understand how we could have such different weather patterns within the same city!
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Ah a visit from Arthur! Is it supposed to skirt the coast or come ashore?
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Most of storm pushing off the coast. But bands of rain are wrapping around onshore. Only 40mph winds expected on Long Island.
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    0 in Clear Lake! It did thunder for a while, though. People who are not familiar with how much territory Houston covers don't understand how we could have such different weather patterns within the same city!
    Indeed.

We got hammered pretty good up here in The Woodlands.
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by MBG75 View Post
    Most of storm pushing off the coast. But bands of rain are wrapping around onshore. Only 40mph winds expected on Long Island.
    Im on the South Shore (southwest Suffolk). The wind is almost non existent, just lots of rain.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit