Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to SLAM or OCLT tonight?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need to SLAM or OCLT tonight?

I'm new to forum and SWG. I installed Hayward SwimPure Plus with Tcell-15 last week. I've been watching CL levels closely. Today is first sunny hot day in a while and I checked CL at 5PM and got FC 3ppm and CC 2ppm. Last nights readings at 8PM were FC 6.5 and CC 0.5. I'm pretty sure my FC never dropped below 2ppm today. Min FC is 2ppm (@ CYA-50). Water is otherwise clear, but I assume its too early to see any green.

My question is should I SLAM the pool tonight because CC-2.0 level is high, or should I just do the OCLT tonight, and do SLAM tomorrow if I fail?

p.s. I'm working my CYA up to 75, but I assume that is not the issue here.
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need to SLAM or OCLT tonight?

" I'm working my CYA up to 75" What is your CYA now if you are "working up"? If you are at 30 or above you have already let your FC drop below where it should be. CC 2 says something is in there.

I haven't looked for any of your previous posts, so if you don't already have one, you will need to pick up one of the recommended test kits.

If you have posted about this before, plese try to keep everything in one thread so we can follow what is happening.

I sya you need to SLAM, even if it ends up being a short one....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I figure with the big weekend ahead, no sense messing with greenies. CYA is currently 50.

Thanks...
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

4. Back To Top    #4

I reran CL test at 9PM. The results are FC-5.0 ppm and CC-1.0 ppm. Since I am trying to learn here, I decided against a slam tonight. Instead I will run OCLT. I added 32 oz of 12.5% CL and will test again in about and hour to confirm FC at 7.5.
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

5. Back To Top    #5

Leave pump running and turn off SWG for OCLT.
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a CC of 1 or more, you need to SLAM the pool. There is no sense in waiting and doing an OCLT when you have 1CC and let the FC drop to far down.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I concur. Hit it hard and leave the filter running. If you didn't need it, you're out a couple bucks' worth of bleach. If you did, you have a head start and the pool will hopefully be all clear this weekend.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I ended up not doing SLAM. Adjusted FC to 8.0 last night and is still there this morning while CC is 0.5. Today is supposed to be hot and clear again, so I will check again at 2PM to make sure FC doesn't drop so low.
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

9. Back To Top    #9

Today was somewhat of a bust. Hot and sunny forecast turned out to be warm and rainy. Mid afternoon check showed FC-8.0 and CC-0.0. Will test again tonight/tomorrow, but I assume I am ok for now.
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by DogsHouse_MyPool View Post
    I ended up not doing SLAM. Adjusted FC to 8.0 last night and is still there this morning while CC is 0.5. Today is supposed to be hot and clear again, so I will check again at 2PM to make sure FC doesn't drop so low.
    Was the reading from last night to this morning with filter on? Was the SWG off?
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, I had the SWG off and the filter on. Readings were taken both at night and again in the morning.

All seems to be fine now. I think now I just have to get the SWG dialed in. I ran unit at 80% for 8 hours (normal run time 11am-7pm) today and FC was tonight at 9.0 CC-0.5. Based on my estimates from PoolMath, FC could never have dropped below 5.5 today. That would seem to be comfortably in the middle of the goal range suggested by PoolMath of 4-11.

Thanks all for your timely suggestions
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.