Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with DPD chlorine test

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with DPD chlorine test

I am using the TH-100 test kit and trying to follow the instructions on The Extended Test Kit Direction Post for the DPD test. I have the following questions:

I seem to have no test cell with a 9ml mark. Am I missing something? Do I just use one of the cells and guess by getting close to the 10ml mark?

What is the test cell marked "Chlorine Only" used for?

The only color chart I can find in the kit is on rectangular cell included with the Basic Kit. Is this the proper chart to use?
    Saltwater 8000 15ft x 54" pool, Hayward 1hp, 2 speed pump, Cartridge filter, Hayward SWG, TFT-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with DPD chlorine test

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I suspect that you have the TF100 test kit, which includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test. This test is unrelated to the DPD chlorine test and does not ever make us of a 9 ml vial.

If you tell use the reagent numbers your test uses we can double check to make sure I am correct.

In any case, use the instructions that came with your test kit to start with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys now I get it. I do have the TH100 kit

Btw why do I have a cylinder marked chlorine only?
    Saltwater 8000 15ft x 54" pool, Hayward 1hp, 2 speed pump, Cartridge filter, Hayward SWG, TFT-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The chlorine test builds up a white film on the cylinder which can interfere with reading some of the other tests. The film can be cleaned off, but it is simpler to use a separate vial for the chlorine test, which isn't affected very much by the film.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks