Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting Quotes...should I run away if they push this product?....

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting Quotes...should I run away if they push this product?....

Hello all. I've been lurking on these forums for a few days and I've contacted a few different pool dealers. Two have come on-site to evaluate my property, discuss pool styles, etc and write up an estimate. Initially, I really wanted a fiberglass pool, but with the quotes I've gotten, I'm starting to lean more toward vinyl. HOWEVER, there is this one big issue. My favored contractor thus far is REALLY pushing the EcoSmarte system and I know that I DEFINITELY don't want it after reading several of the threads here. When I told him that I still wanted salt he huffed about it and said that he felt I would regret it down the road. He has the best portfolio of completed work for my area, but should I run from him due to his insistence that EcoSmarte was the better option?

My area is very rural, we have only two pool builders here and they only work with vinyl. I would have to get a builder from Charlotte to get fiberglass which is 2 hours away. I've still gotten quotes from some of the Charlotte fiberglass dealers, but I feel like they really can't give me a solid number without personally standing on my site. (They've been looking at Google Earth shots of my lot.)

What would you do in this situation? Go with a dealer who isn't happy with your decisions? Work with a contractor far away? Tough decisions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting Quotes...should I run away if they push this product?....

Tell him to do the job you are paying him for and you can live with the regrets
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I am with poolnoob on this, the problem with many pool builders is they never see the problems down the road because they are not there, the applies to all aspects of a pool build from plumbing and equipment layout / replacement to pool chemistry and and traffic flow.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I can tell you I wouldn't buy something I know I didn't want. If PB doesn't like it, then you should go elsewhere. Put your foot down and be firm and consistent and see if he moves away from it. If he doesn't, then you move away from him and go elsewhere.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Im with everyone else. If you like the PB then work with him to provide you a SWG system. You should not be pressured into something you know you dont want.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!