Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure Gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure Gauge

Hello everyone I just installed a new gauge on my filter that I got from TFTtestkits
    It's liquid filled and after installing I dutifully cut the nipple off like it said to
    Now it's leaking oil
    Should I just let it drip or should I plug it back up
    It's a bottom mount and it goes on the side of my filter
    Thanks for any and all help
    SkyKid
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKid View Post
    It's liquid filled and after installing I dutifully cut the nipple off like it said to
    I thought mine said that if it was reading wrong, remove the plug, let the pressure equalize and reinstall the plug. I didn't cut anything and it works great.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

3. Back To Top    #3

You should also re-equalize the internal pressure with large swings in air temperature as that can affect the readings.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I think there is more than one person who got instructions to cut the nipple and I don't understand why. It is supposed to be a pressure equalizer. I will speak with them again Monday AM and have a more clear cut answer.

I personally see no reason to cut the pressure plug but someone must've put that in there for a reason. I'll find out and post back.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Cutting the nipple would allow the gauge to auto-vent which has some advantages. But of course the plug would always need to be installed upwards so the glycerin would not drain out.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought Dave had already contacted them and posted that there was no reason to cut it if it was reading zero to start. I know I saw the directions to cut it, forgot, and then saw the previous discussion.

Dave, might want to add a note on your webpage about this.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

The gauge can still read zero and need to be vented because it has a physical stop. Basically, these types of gauges should always be vented before taking a reading.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

I just got mine and it has a sticker that says "pull and re-plug the metal knob on the rubber cap for releasing internal pressure to assure accuracy".

I didn't realize it was just a little nail thing that was actually going to let the liquid out. Made a bit of a mess. I thought it was some sort of springy thing until I pulled up a little and since I had it slightly tilted in my hands (I haven't had a chance to install it yet) it started to pour out onto my hand. I kinda freaked out figuring I just ruined my brand new gauge.

Hopefully it will be ok since I didn't lose too much of the liquid? *sigh* I just had to follow the instructions. Should have left it alone.

I still don't totally get it. If I have this thing screwed in to my filter it's going to be sticking out from the filter at a 90 degree angle just like my current cheapy one does. If I have to pull that plug out to "vent' it, there won't be any way to keep more liquid from spilling out. I bought this type because it's what I already had. Maybe I was supposed to buy the other style with the mounting thing on the back of the gauge instead of the bottom? Ugh.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

I think the idea is to get it equalized with its final install location to account for altitude differences. There should be no need to leave it open.

Kind of wish that note was not even there.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Our supplier of these gauges seem to be putting some arbitrary instructions in the box. I will see if we can't do our own instructions and insert them instead.

FWIW, the liquid is food grade glycerin and is a bit messy but harmless. Losing a little of it is harmless as well.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I cut mine as per instructed, no problems so far after nearly one year. Mine is vertical, leaked a little to start but nothing alarming. I saw it weep a couple of times last summer I think.

For whatever it's worth, Filled Gauge used inside industrial complexes are just like this, except they have a little toggle valve that performs the same function. Instrument guys open the little toggle once they are installed, and forget about them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    I still don't totally get it. If I have this thing screwed in to my filter it's going to be sticking out from the filter at a 90 degree angle just like my current cheapy one does. Maybe I was supposed to buy the other style with the mounting thing on the back of the gauge instead of the bottom? Ugh.
    Yep, sounds like it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Mine also said to pull up to zero out I think. It leaked. It still leaks sometimes. It is mounted on top of filter. Sometimes when pump is running it will still say zero. I thought maybe it was because some of the glycerin leaked out.
    Have considered replacing it with original manufacturers gauge. Never sure what the actual pressure is. It generally varies between 3-6 psi on any given day or sometimes zero. Always with the pump running at the same speed. Confusing.

13. Back To Top    #13

Hopefully mine won't leak once it's installed. It's raining and cold stupid weather out there today. Sorry pool, you're getting neglected today.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

14. Back To Top    #14

My gauge always reads 10 psi when the pump is off. I think it is Water filled. Not sure. Came with the pool. Is that an issue?
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    My gauge always reads 10 psi when the pump is off. I think it is Water filled. Not sure. Came with the pool. Is that an issue?
    Yes, it needs to be replaced. Seems unlikely to me that you would have a glycerin filled gauge unless the previous owner was a TFPer
    Jason, TFP Moderator