Hello. I have had green algea in my pool for a little over a week. It started appearing at about the same time that my pump started dying. (Actually, I think it has not been working as well as it should for a while now, but I don't know for sure.) I read that I should have a working pump and filter and a good test kit before the big shock. Here are my numbers:
pH = 7.8
FC = less than 0.6 (very very light yellow on my OTO test)
Alk = 90
Stab = 45ish (though I read that this might not be right due to my algae)
calcium = did not test b/c I have a vinal pool and I read that it didn't matter
I looked everywhere for Muriatic Acid yesterday and can't find it, so I walked around sprinkling some leftover pH decreaser that I had previously bought from Walmart in the pool this morning before work (my old pump is still barely turing the water, so I hope it mixes well enough). My question is, assuming that I can find some appropriate acid, which should I do first, the Borax treatment or the Chlorine shock?? I read that Borax can help with algea and reduce the amount of chlorine you need, but I can't find anywhere if there is a problem with using either one before the other. I am taking a vacation day from work on Friday so that I will have all weekend to deal with this if necessary. I just want to have everything prepared before Friday when I begin my war on Algae! I already purchased 6 boxes of 20 mule Borax and 6 1.5 gallon jugs of 6% bleach, and I plan to buy more of whatever I need tonight. (I realize that I need more bleach, but I didn't have any more room in my car last night! ) Any advice would be great!!