Moving satellite dish for gutter install...

chris fox

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 3, 2013
Phoenix area
So the last bits of backyard remodeling(after pool remodel, deck, turf, etc.) is adding gutters along the house close to the pool. The gutter will interrupt where I have the small Direct TV sat. The satellite will need to come off then remounted, probably further out to fit around the new gutter.
Has anyone moved their satellite dish, worried about calibration etc. if I remove and remount. If Direct TV does it, there will be a charge, wide time windows that have to work around the gutter company.
Maybe I am over thinking this being a bigger issue than it is...
Thoughts?

thanks in advance

As long as the angles don't change on the mounting plate or the post you should be fine. Dish aiming is pretty precise. You will have to make sure it is the plumb in all directions and that you don't change the angle of the base. If you move it and you still have good signal you are good to go and saved the service call. If not, you were going to have to pay for them to reaim the dish anyway.

It's not hard to re-aim a dish if you move it. There are plenty of Youtube videos on how to do it if you get it out of alignment. I've installed and aimed a bunch of them. There should be a signal strength meter on the receiver even. You'll have to access the menu for it and it's a bit of a pain having someone telling you what the strength meter is doing as you move it, but it's possible.

It's not hard to re-aim a dish if you move it. There are plenty of Youtube videos on how to do it if you get it out of alignment. I've installed and aimed a bunch of them. There should be a signal strength meter on the receiver even. You'll have to access the menu for it and it's a bit of a pain having someone telling you what the strength meter is doing as you move it, but it's possible.

It's a lot easier now that everyone has a pretty good set of walkie talkies cell phones

The early Directv dishes were really easy to aim. They only had an x and a y axis to aim. The newer HD dishes also have a z axis. This increases difficulty quite a bit unless you have a signal meter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.