water a little opaque

Jun 13, 2014
Clarksville, TN
I have my water balanced except for calcium hardness which is low. I added the metal free and the sequestrant. My water is clean but not as clear as I know it could be. We've had a little rain, but I stayed on top of it, and kept my pool balanced. Any ideas on the clarity of the water. You can see the bottom but it's just not perfectly clear. Thanks

Your FC is too low for your CYA level, thus likely something starting to grow and cloud the water.

You need to follow the SLAM process to eradicate what ever is in the water. You will need the FAS-DPD chlorine test that is in the recommended test kits.

Hope your on, my results yesterday were FC 6.2, CC 0.4, PH 7.4, TA 110, CH90, CYA 100, I'm very frustrated, I've never had this many issues with my chlorine and CYA levels. I've been using bleach on occasion and triclor when I try and get my chlorine level up quicker. Could that be causing the cloudiness? The water seems clear but it's not crystal clear. Help

Having the FC too low for your CYA is what is most likely causing the cloudiness. It is the beginnings of an algae bloom. Every time you add trichlor you are adding more CYA. The more CYA you add the higher FC you have to maintain.

Trichlor will not raise your FC any faster than bleach. As a matter of fact the liquid would technically be faster because there is no time to dissolve.

What test kit do you have? As jblizzle posted above, you are going to need to go through the SLAM process and you will need an FAS-DPD chlorine test to do that.

If your CYA is really that high you are going to need to replace some water and stop adding CYA (including products that contain CYA like trichlor and dichlor powders and tablets) and stick to the liquid chlorine (bleach) for now.

*edit*

I read through a couple of your previous posts and saw you mentioned you have a Taylor kit. Which kit is it? It looks like in your other thread about metal stains you posted your CYA as 75. That was already too high and now you're reporting 100.

The test only goes up to 100 so you may actually be higher than that.

This is the cause of your cloudiness. You are continuing to use products that are raising your CYA level and you haven't adjusted your chlorine to match. It's passing the maintainable levels.

Re-Read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry if you've already read it and also look at the chlorine/cya chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock.

It's important that you understand the relationship between CYA and Chlorine and know what you're adding to your pool and what levels you need to maintain.

K-2006C, I don't understand it either, I will re test FAS-DPD chlorine, and CYA, in a few minutes. I don't really understand the relationship between FC and CYA, I will replace the water if necessary. I did add sodium dichlor-s-triazinetrione hydrated 99%, sanitizer! shock! algaecide! avail chlorine 55.5%, but reading the label I didn't see where it would increase the CYA. I purchased a 50 lb bucket at SAMs club, and have used in past seasons. I will recheck now, thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.