Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water a little opaque

1. Back To Top    #1

water a little opaque

I have my water balanced except for calcium hardness which is low. I added the metal free and the sequestrant. My water is clean but not as clear as I know it could be. We've had a little rain, but I stayed on top of it, and kept my pool balanced. Any ideas on the clarity of the water. You can see the bottom but it's just not perfectly clear. Thanks
    Stephen
    28,000 IG, vinyl, jacuzzi sand filter, 1.5 hp jacuzzi pump, chlorine, built 2003

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water a little opaque

We need test results. There is no such thing as low CH in a vinyl pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Without posting test results there's really no way for anyone to know what might be going on with your water....
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, CH 80, TC 0.5, FC 3.0, TA 110, PH 7.4, CYA 60
    Stephen
    28,000 IG, vinyl, jacuzzi sand filter, 1.5 hp jacuzzi pump, chlorine, built 2003

5. Back To Top    #5

Your FC is too low for your CYA level, thus likely something starting to grow and cloud the water.

You need to follow the SLAM process to eradicate what ever is in the water. You will need the FAS-DPD chlorine test that is in the recommended test kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Hope your on, my results yesterday were FC 6.2, CC 0.4, PH 7.4, TA 110, CH90, CYA 100, I'm very frustrated, I've never had this many issues with my chlorine and CYA levels. I've been using bleach on occasion and triclor when I try and get my chlorine level up quicker. Could that be causing the cloudiness? The water seems clear but it's not crystal clear. Help
    Stephen

7. Back To Top    #7

Having the FC too low for your CYA is what is most likely causing the cloudiness. It is the beginnings of an algae bloom. Every time you add trichlor you are adding more CYA. The more CYA you add the higher FC you have to maintain.

Trichlor will not raise your FC any faster than bleach. As a matter of fact the liquid would technically be faster because there is no time to dissolve.

What test kit do you have? As jblizzle posted above, you are going to need to go through the SLAM process and you will need an FAS-DPD chlorine test to do that.

If your CYA is really that high you are going to need to replace some water and stop adding CYA (including products that contain CYA like trichlor and dichlor powders and tablets) and stick to the liquid chlorine (bleach) for now.

*edit*

I read through a couple of your previous posts and saw you mentioned you have a Taylor kit. Which kit is it? It looks like in your other thread about metal stains you posted your CYA as 75. That was already too high and now you're reporting 100.

The test only goes up to 100 so you may actually be higher than that.

This is the cause of your cloudiness. You are continuing to use products that are raising your CYA level and you haven't adjusted your chlorine to match. It's passing the maintainable levels.

Re-Read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry if you've already read it and also look at the chlorine/cya chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock.

It's important that you understand the relationship between CYA and Chlorine and know what you're adding to your pool and what levels you need to maintain.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

No way the CYA went up from 60 to 100 overnight unless you added a lot of Trichlor or Dichlor or stabilizer. Must be a testing error in one of those.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

K-2006C, I don't understand it either, I will re test FAS-DPD chlorine, and CYA, in a few minutes. I don't really understand the relationship between FC and CYA, I will replace the water if necessary. I did add sodium dichlor-s-triazinetrione hydrated 99%, sanitizer! shock! algaecide! avail chlorine 55.5%, but reading the label I didn't see where it would increase the CYA. I purchased a 50 lb bucket at SAMs club, and have used in past seasons. I will recheck now, thanks
    Stephen

10. Back To Top    #10

That Dichlor is adding CYA, but doubtful 40ppm overnight.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Fc 4.5, cc 0.2, cya 100
    Stephen

12. Back To Top    #12

You need to follow the dilution instructions for cya over 90ppm, under the extended test kit directions here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post203524

I suggest reading and following all the tips there for that test, as it's very subjective and important that it's performed properly for an accurate reading.

Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D