CYA problems for me too!

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
I just read wayner's post about having issues for the first time with CYA this year. Very odd but I am having virtually the same exact problem! :confused: I do my own testing and have for the last 8 years...the entire time I've owned my pool. On 6/23 my readings were...

pH - 7.5
FC - 3.
CC - 0
TC - 3
T/A - 100
CYA - 0 !!!

I had been out of town for a few days and had turned off my pump because I just don't trust that everything will be fine without me here...have done it for every vacation and never had a problem. I just upped my chlorine before I left. So, I didn't really think too much about it even though I have NEVER had a zero reading in 8 years! So I added the Pool Math results of 100 oz of Stabilizer.

Today, my results are...

pH - 7.2
FC - 3
CC - .5
TC - 3.5
T/A - 100
CYA - 0 !!! AGAIN! :shock:

What in the world is going on?? We've had sunny and rainy days these last 10 days so no unusual weather going on. I did have a spell of very cloudy water about mid-June...first time for that as well! I hadn't tested the CYA in a couple of weeks so I added what was required and it's back to being "sparkly-poolitis"!! :) The water looks great right now but I'll be getting my stabilizer in there in the morning before it goes cloudy on me again!

This is very odd...anyone have a clue what's going on or how to fix this?? :scratch:

Thanks for the help! :salut:

How old are your testing reagents?

When you add CYA, I suggest you add it in two or three steps, rather than all at once.

How old is the stabilizer? (if you could know that). We say that stuff does not go 'bad', but there have been reports that it has. Also, what % CYA is on the container? Some are only 50% CYA :hammer:

Did you add the 100 oz of stabilizer on the 23rd or just recently ? Asking because it can take a week to show in test results...

I added the 100 oz of stabilizer on the 23rd and will be adding again today.

How old are your testing reagents? When you add CYA, I suggest you add it in two or three steps, rather than all at once. How old is the stabilizer? (if you could know that). We say that stuff does not go 'bad', but there have been reports that it has. Also, what % CYA is on the container? Some are only 50% CYA :hammer:

I just bought the CYA reagent in May. When I add stabilizer, I put it in 2 (4 this time due to amount) knee highs and hang them in front of the returns. I also just bought the stabilizer this spring and bought more last night for today's application. I use both the Aqua Chem and the My Saltwater Pool brands...they both state that they are 100% CYA.

This is very strange because things have have been fine since opening in early April. It's just the last couple of weeks there has been any problems. There's been nothing unusual...I'm single and live alone so no one else could have done something to the pool but me.

I have now determined that my reagent was bad...leaving me with a CYA reading of well over 100! The water is clear and beautiful but with these readings below, is it safe to have children swim in it?

pH 7.2
FC 9.5
CC .5
TC 10.
T/A 140
CYA 100+

I realize the pH is low and can adjust that and my TA has been high all season, this being the highest....I have no idea why. I have folks waiting to hear whether they will be able to come over this weekend because I don't want to have children be in this and their be a problem so I'm being extra cautious by asking....

Thanks!!

Karen

If you are confident that CYA is close to 100, and not much higher, then your current numbers are fine for swimming.

There are two ways to estimate the high CYA level, first predict what it should be based on what you added to the pool, second, do the CYA test with one to one dilution and multiply the result by 2.

Thanks Jason! I'm confident that it's WELL OVER 100! On 5/12 it was 60 so I added 14 oz. On 5/27 it was 90 so I did nothing. I didn't test it for a couple of weeks and on 6/15 it was 100. I had my solar cover on almost all the whole time at this point so I wasn't concerned. I did nothing. Then on 6/23 it read 0. I guess I should have seen that as a red flag but I had been out of town for a few days and had turned off the pump so I thought maybe the sun ate it up while I was gone. It was a little cloudy so that kind of bolstered my thinking. I added 100 oz. On 7/2 it read 0 again so I added another 100 oz! When I tested it on the 3rd and it still showed 0, I knew something had to be wrong. So now if I go back and add up what I've put in it against readings...it could be as high as 300!! So, I guess I do need to do the 1:1 ratio to get a more clear picture... I really don't want to have to drain my pool of more than half the water...$$$$$$!!!! I would rather tell these folks that we'll have to wait than do that. But, if it is that high...it could take the rest of the summer to come down!

So, am I on the right tract with my thinking here? Is draining it really what I have to do to get this under control?

Thanks for you quick responses!
Karen

One way or another you need to replace a lot of water. Water replacement can be done by draining and filling at the same time. Doing that uses more total water, but eliminates the need to close the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay...180. I know I still need to drain but at least it's not as bad as I thought it might be! I don't think I want to drain and fill at the same time...I'll never know when to stop! :D Well, I'm off to have my wonderful weekend! ;) Thank you very much for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.