Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Two Speed Pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Two Speed Pump?

I am a new above ground pool owner (24' Round) and it came with a two speed pump. I have been running it on high anywhere between 5 and 18 hours a day (trying to find a good routine that works for me). After backwashing, I read about 16 PSI while on high and 4 PSI on low. Has anyone experimented to find the optimal number of hours on high vs. low? Should I run 24 hours on low? Or 12 hours on low and 2 on high? One concern I have is Chlorine. Since I have a Trichlor feeder, I want to make sure I get enough run-time to get good chlorination (plan to try bleach soon but still educating myself on the chemistry).

Thanks in advance for any help
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Two Speed Pump?

Welcome to TFPC! Can't answer your pump question as I have an old fashioned single speed I run about 6 hours a day.

If you don't already have one, you will need to pick up one of the recommended test kits. The pool store kits won't cut it.

Using that Trichlor feeder you need to be careful not to get too high a CYA/Stabilizer level.

Do some reading over at the Pool School and ask away with the questions.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Low is best, the only time you'll need high is when vacuuming or back-flushing.
    Have you read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I had not seen this article but was hoping something like it existed.

And, yes, I have read about the issues of CYA. I have a TF100 kit but I don't think I am doing the CYA test right (only one attempt so far. I will try again today). The pool store has me at 20, if I recall.

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm sure you will get more questions from me soon!
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool stores more often give inaccurate results. Get off the tabs ASAP.

I run my pump on low for 8-9 hours, overnight. I start it when I'm adding liquid chlorine (around sunset).
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]