Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new member here

1. Back To Top    #1

new member here

We bought a house with a pool and need a little help. I'm not sure where to start but our test kit will be here tomorrow, TF100. Our pool is in ground cement with vinyl liner, odd kidney shape about 21000 gallons. The water in the deep end is cloudy and was starting to get green. The previous owner used the pucks in the filter and shocked when it got cloudy with no testing. It started to get a slight green to it Monday so we bought se shock stuff and added enough for 50000 gal pool. It helped but is still cloudy in the deep end, I'm waiting for our test kit before I add anything else. I'll follow up with results tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
    Michael

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new member here

Welcome!

It might be a good idea to check out the Extended Test Kit Directions, in case your CYA level is astronomical.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!!

Richard has given good advise about the high CYA - I agree it will probably be high. It can never hurt to add a gallon or two of plain laundry bleach (no scents or other stuff) to try to hold off the green stuff.

It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
    • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
    • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
    • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are my numbers, what next?
    Fc- 4.5
    Cc- 5.5
    Cya- 0 yes is it much less than 20
    Ph- 7.8

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

I would double check that test result for the CYA just to be sure. It's not hard to do but tricky at first. There is a video on You Tube that is helpful.

6. Back To Top    #6

Did it 2 times with same result. I'm going to get some more water and try again.

7. Back To Top    #7

Same result. I can't get on the calculator with my phone, how much cyanuric acid should I add? I bought a 4 pound bag and was going to add half tonight and a couple gallons of lc12 to see if that will help with my high cc level.

8. Back To Top    #8

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

PoolMath is accessible using your phone's built-in browser.

9. Back To Top    #9

Morning update.
    Fc - 1
    Cc - still 5.5
    Cya - 25

I added conditioner and it is starting to increase my cya. Still can't get the cc to come down.

10. Back To Top    #10

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Do NOT add any more CYA at this point of time. Your CYA is where you want it to be for SLAM.
    Start SLAMming your pool.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by onestout View Post
    Morning update.
    Fc - 1
    Cc - still 5.5
    Cya - 25

I added conditioner and it is starting to increase my cya. Still can't get the cc to come down.
    I suspect you had that mysterious conversion of CYA into Ammonia. It takes a lot of bleach to neutralize the ammonia, and after that, CC drops and the pool starts clearing. Alarming amounts of bleach. It goes away almost as fast as you can pour it in.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

That's what I thought as well, I could really smell it this morning. I added another gallon of 12% and will test that in a couple hours again. Thanks for the help so far.

Michael

13. Back To Top    #13

I added 1 gallon last night and 2 gallons this morning so far and just tested and had a big change.
    Fc - 3
    Cc - .5
    Cya still around 25
    PH - 7.2
    Things seem to be coming around, I think I'll put in 1 more gallon and test later today. Thoughts?
    Last edited by onestout; 07-04-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: another test

14. Back To Top    #14

PH still 7.2
    Put in about 5 gallons of 12% yesterday testing before each one. This morning my fc is 5 and cc is 0-.5. I seem to be eating a lot of fc at night yet. Is my PH OK or do I need to bring it up? Cya is 25-30.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by onestout View Post
    PH still 7.2
    Put in about 5 gallons of 12% yesterday testing before each one. This morning my fc is 5 and cc is 0-.5. I seem to be eating a lot of fc at night yet. Is my PH OK or do I need to bring it up? Cya is 25-30.
    pH is fine. Have you been scrubbing around stairs, ladders, and lights?

Also remember the stuff you can't see - inside the pump strainer and the filter. They share the same water.

16. Back To Top    #16

I haven't been yet, I'm going to get a wash MIT so I can get the walls better and pull the ladder and scrub that as well. Thanks