new member here

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
We bought a house with a pool and need a little help. I'm not sure where to start but our test kit will be here tomorrow, TF100. Our pool is in ground cement with vinyl liner, odd kidney shape about 21000 gallons. The water in the deep end is cloudy and was starting to get green. The previous owner used the pucks in the filter and shocked when it got cloudy with no testing. It started to get a slight green to it Monday so we bought se shock stuff and added enough for 50000 gal pool. It helped but is still cloudy in the deep end, I'm waiting for our test kit before I add anything else. I'll follow up with results tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Michael

Welcome!!

Richard has given good advise about the high CYA - I agree it will probably be high. It can never hurt to add a gallon or two of plain laundry bleach (no scents or other stuff) to try to hold off the green stuff.

It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Same result. I can't get on the calculator with my phone, how much cyanuric acid should I add? I bought a 4 pound bag and was going to add half tonight and a couple gallons of lc12 to see if that will help with my high cc level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Morning update.
Fc - 1
Cc - still 5.5
Cya - 25

I added conditioner and it is starting to increase my cya. Still can't get the cc to come down.
I suspect you had that mysterious conversion of CYA into Ammonia. It takes a lot of bleach to neutralize the ammonia, and after that, CC drops and the pool starts clearing. Alarming amounts of bleach. It goes away almost as fast as you can pour it in.

attachment.php

I added 1 gallon last night and 2 gallons this morning so far and just tested and had a big change.
Fc - 3
Cc - .5
Cya still around 25
PH - 7.2
Things seem to be coming around, I think I'll put in 1 more gallon and test later today. Thoughts?

Last edited:
PH still 7.2
Put in about 5 gallons of 12% yesterday testing before each one. This morning my fc is 5 and cc is 0-.5. I seem to be eating a lot of fc at night yet. Is my PH OK or do I need to bring it up? Cya is 25-30.
pH is fine. Have you been scrubbing around stairs, ladders, and lights?

Also remember the stuff you can't see - inside the pump strainer and the filter. They share the same water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.