First fill up!

Jul 1, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Hey all. Been lurking around for a month reading and gathering as much info as possible for my first pool. I purchased an Intex 18' x 48" easy set pool. Rented a sod cutter and removed all the grass, then leveled with sand, and compacted. I was only 1.25" off so it was not to bad, one weekend and a case of beer! I'm using the stock filter with a SWG. I purchased the TF 100 kit and my question is should I test the water before adding the salt and running the generator or after. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Test the water before adding salt. I made the mistake of not testing and assuming my salt was zero. Ended up adding too much salt and my only option is to drain 1/4 of the water and re-fill. Test before.

You can add salt whenever you want and let circulate a day before turning SWG.

You also need to get the CYA up to around 70ppm and should maintain the FC level with bleach until the SWG is running.

You need to test the salt content before adding salt. Otherwise you won't know how much to add.
For stabilizer make sure it's at least 99% cyanuric acid. Use pool math and punch in your current, goal, and your pool size and it will tell you how much toadd.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Put it in a sock in the skimmer and keep the pump running. Squeeze the sock often, and it will dissolve within a couple days.

Since it's a fresh fill you can swim immediately.

Target FC at 2-3ppm for 24 hours after putting the CYA sock in. After 24 hours, assume the CYA is in the water (but don't bother testing for it for a week or so), and raise your FC to the appropriate level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.