Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Couple Quick Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Couple Quick Questions

Hello,

1. When performing the TA test do we stop when the color first turns pink or when it turns fully red?

2. When performing the CYA test we want to keep going until the entire black dot (all visibility, all traces) is no longer visible correct?

3. When lowering TA can I add water, if low, with the nozzle on a fine spray to aerate?

4. I live in Las Vegas with the temp well into the 100's. My CYA is a little under 40. Would it help chlorine consumption if I raise it a bit?

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    9700 gallon outdoor in-ground 11x26' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter;
    Pentair MasterTemp 400 natural gas heater; 2-wheel "The Pool Cleaner"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Couple Quick Questions

1) You add drops until one makes no change, then deduct it. So if at 7 it gets pale pink, at 8 it gets Barbie pink, and 9 makes no change, you don't count the 9th. TA would be 80.
    2) You want it gone.
    3) Yes. But not a fine spray - you want it blasting so the surface looks like it's boiling.
    4) Yes. 50 or 60 CYA would be good for you. But remember the minimum goes up as well, even if the daily loss is lower.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks a million! One more question ... when I drained/refilled my pool a month ago the CH = 475. With the hard water we have in vegas how often will I have to drain my pool if at all?
    9700 gallon outdoor in-ground 11x26' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter;
    Pentair MasterTemp 400 natural gas heater; 2-wheel "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

From my experience, it gets very hard to keep the CSI neutral so you don't get scale when CH gets above 800.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!