Questionable Deck Slope

simpsc

Jul 2, 2014
Simpsonville SC
Hello Everyone

I am currently in the process of having my dream pool installed and I am a bit concerned about the amount of slope the concrete guys put in my deck. Before the grading began, the pool builder told me that he would shoot for 1/4 an inch per foot of fall for the decking and after trolling the forums, that amount seemed reasonable. After the grading was done, the pool builder came out and marked the lines for the deck and then told me the concrete guys would show up in a few days to begin work. Before the concrete guys arrived I noticed that one of the corners looked very low so using a string and a level I found that at 12 ft straight out from the side of the pool, the grading dropped about 4 to 5 inches and in the lowest corner (Dead in the corner, 15 ft out diagonally) the drop was 7 inches. By my calculations, at 15 ft the amount of drop should be 3.75 inches not 7 inches. I immediately called my pool guy and let him know what I had found and he said he would take a look at it before the concrete was poured. A few days later the concrete guys came and did the pour and apparently did nothing to correct the problem so the measurements that I provided above for the grading are now the measurements for my finished concrete deck. Now that the concrete is dry I put my patio furniture on the corner and there is a clearly visible slope to my furniture. I have included a picture to show how my table looks sitting on my deck.

The question I have is am I being too picky? At 15 ft the amount for fall now is 7 inches, by my calculations that should be the amount of fall for around 28 ft of concrete, not 15. I am sure the pool guy is going to shoot me down on my request to fix the problem and expect me to just live with it. I am wondering if any of you folks would tolerate this sort of slope and is this normal?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

apool.jpg

That looks like it would be bothersome for someone sitting at that table trying to have a drink, eat dinner or just chat. The tilt seems really excessive.
That and it seems since you can't have the water going into the pool and you need to drain it away from the pool they would include a drain to then take it someplace other than just dump it aiming at your foundation.

Kinda hard to tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like maybe there's a shallow "V" formed between the house half and the pool half (with a low spot in the middle, so that the water drains away from both the pool and the house)...

apool.jpg

If this is the case, perhaps that amount of slope was necessary for the two halves to meet up in the middle like that. I'm not necessarily saying it's "right"... maybe the pool ended up being built a bit higher than intended, and meanwhile perhaps the deck where it meets up with the house had to be considerably lower for some reason, necessitating a steeper slope from the pool.

Having had my pool flood recently, I certainly see why they would want to get the water out of the way if it rained too heavily, but I wouldn't be happy with that arrangement. If water draining was a foreseeable problem I would think some kind of drains would have been used rather than a huge slant like that. I would have the pool builder back out and see what he says - maybe he will be a stand up guy and admit that this is a problem.

thats way too much slope. slope should be no more than 2 inches over a span like that. I was facing the exact issue with my buried AGP. The builder didnt put it at the depth I told him, and I was left with a pool 7 inches higher than planned. I would have had a slope just like that.... actually, over a 10 ft deck, it would have been worse. Fortunately, 7 inches is perfect for a step, so I decided to form up for a step and thats what we did. Turned out perfect.

IMG_20140628_155500693.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20140629_124532657_HDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I recommend having them tear that deck out, form up for a step, and re-pour. and that all should be at the builders expense since they screwed up. I docked my builder 300 bucks for his mistake, since that is what it cost me in additional concrete and form material.

I had a similar situation, but mine wasnt the slope towards the house, it was the slope that lead to my sidewalk around the house. We had to meet that grade, so I went with it. Let me say this is strictly a travel area, no tables will ever be here. Having said that, I put a table there to see what it would be like and it was truly dramatic how big the slope was! It wasn't uncomfortable, but sitting on the end of the table opposite the pool I felt like I was looking at the sky lol. At any rate, in that location where you will have tables I think that it is too much.

thats way too much slope. slope should be no more than 2 inches over a span like that. I was facing the exact issue with my buried AGP. The builder didnt put it at the depth I told him, and I was left with a pool 7 inches higher than planned. I would have had a slope just like that.... actually, over a 10 ft deck, it would have been worse. Fortunately, 7 inches is perfect for a step, so I decided to form up for a step and thats what we did.

Similar story here. Originally we were supposed to have concrete poured over the existing patio to bring it to the same level as the pool deck, but the pool ended up a few inches higher than originally planned (installer was concerned about the high water table), which would have necessitated an awkward slope in order for the two sections to meet in the middle. We ended up leaving the patio as-is (which meant we could make the pool deck bigger for the same cost), and doing a step with matching bricks.

photo.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That turned out really nice. The brick step is a nice touch as it stands out so you don't miss it and trip and also adds some detail matching the coping on the pool and spa :goodjob:

My concern on the OPs install is that the water has no place to go. You have a neighbors house on one side, all the new concrete and a limited amount of dirt/grass for the water to go to that's against your foundation unless it also slopes towards the camera.

Simpsc,

I am VERY cautious to jump in and take side with OP when we don't get the PB's side of things but I will say freely that that "fall" is excessive and, on way or another I doubt I would accept it.

Mine drops one inch every ten feet and I like it just fine. For me, it is perfect.

Put on your best schmoozing hat and try to work something with him if you can. (you know, catching more flies with honey than with vinegar) but be firm that you think it is excessive ('cause it is) and cannot live with it as it now stands.

As a sidebar (but related) what is the slope leading from what looks like the patio door out to the pool decking? (it's what mccaswell is talking about.) Did you discuss a drain trench where those two opposite slopes meet?

Thank you all for your replies, it sure does help to get some other points of view, now I don't feel so alone on this issue. I did finally get the PB back out and he explained that all this was done to get the water away from the house but I maintain that such a drastic slope was not necessary to achieve the same results. Regardless of why it was done, I noticed all this before the concrete was poured and asked my PB to come out and discuss before the concrete was poured but he did not. I can think of a dozen different ways this could have been done to be more aesthetically pleasing but I never got the chance to discuss it.

Taking Duraleigh's advice, when I met with my PB I kept the conversation very upbeat, friendly, and professional but I don't think that he is going to go for digging up all that concrete and starting over so it is probably time to compromise. My PB is an extremely nice fellow, seems reasonable, and has an excellent reputation in town so I think he will work with me. After much thought I believe the compromise that I will ask for is a wooden deck (a level one) over that section to hide the crazy slope. Lets hope he goes for it!!!!!

To answer Duraleigh's question, the slope from the pool to the drain is 4' over 12 ft which leads down to the drain. The slope from the patio door to the drain (Which the pool builder poured as well) is about a 3-4 inch drop over around 10 ft. We did discuss the "V" concept and he explained that he was going to create a "V" between the two sections to make sure all the water landed in the drain and not against my house.

Thanks again to everyone.....your opinions have been a HUGE help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.