Pump is pretty much dead. Need a new one.

Jul 2, 2014
Tucson, AZ
I'm not sure what to get. I see on the tag it is a 1hp. I'm sure it is old, as I bought the house 6 years ago. It's been noisy this past year, but worked OK. I went to turn it on last night and it tripped a breaker. Hubby took it apart today to see if there were any restrictions or blockages and although he can barely spin the impeller, it is "dragging". The pump is a Magnatek brand and for voltage, states "208-230/115". I have a large sand filter, which the sand was replaced about 5 years ago because the baffles were "broken" and sand was entering the pool via the jets.

These last few years, it seems that I was backwashing once a week (which seems excessive) and unrelated, using a ton of Cyanuric Acid (also unusual). I recently did a 24 hour each, running and non-running leak test and although I was convinced the pool was leaking (cause where is the Cyanuric Acid going??), but no obvious leaks. I also always seem to have trouble with the suction port on the pool for the Barracuda. It just loses suction very, very often. So lots of little problems making this all very frustrating.

Here's my real question: Do I just buy a replacement pump/strainer combo OR do I prepare to spend $1000 and get a new pump and new filtration method (cartridge/DE, etc). Either way, what would you recommend?

My goal: less maintenance (I am willing to work, that's not the issue), better performance, and cheaper upkeep. I am in Tucson and although I don't "close" the pool for winter, we don't swim in the late Fall, early Winter. I also have solar water panels on the roof for the pool, although I need some wiring repairs to that. Just an FYI in case you need to know.

TIA! Suzanne

Hello,
Sounds like the bearings went bad. If the wet end doesn't have cracks/leaks you can just replace the motor. I'd recommend you get a two-speed motor, run on low to save energy. It cheaper to replace the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.