New Vinyl Liner and Water

schaya

Jul 2, 2014
Williamsport, PA
With just replacing my liner I've learned my lesson and will be using the TFP method this time. Used Pristine Blue for 5 years and pool was out of control before liner was accidentally punctured two years ago while closing. Pool was just filled with drinking water late last night so the testing has begun. I know that I bought the wrong test kit and will be buying the FAS/DPD test kit add on for the kit I bought tomorrow. Water is currently a cool 74 degrees.

TC - 0
FC - 0
PH - 7.0
TA - 50ppm
CH - 0
CYA - 0

I just want to make sure that I'm adding the correct amounts and weather I should add everything at once or just do a little at a time. The pool calculator has me doing the following.

128oz of 8.25% bleach - which I did put in tonight because I did not want to be without chlorine.
67oz of borax
120oz of baking soda
91oz of stabilizer

Am I on the right course of action?

Thanks for all your help!
Stan

Welcome!

Keep reading all you can through Pool School to learn what you need to add and why then use Pool Math for dosing. You certainly need bleach and stabilizer. Your pH is low but can easily be raised by pointing a jet upwards to create a break in the surface water. This will effect your TA and you may want to add baking soda in small steps. don't overshoot any additions and allow 30 min of full circulation before adding another.

good luck and happy swimming!

I would hold off on the baking soda for TA adjustment for now, wait and do that last after everything else is done. Also I have not done the math, but remember CYA stabilizer is very acidic and will drive your pH down, so you will probably need to keep a close eye on that and adjust as needed as the CYA dissolves (use the sock method to add CYA)

Per the calculations I should add just a little over 5 1/2 lbs of stabilizer. I will use the sock method. How much would you recommend adding at a time and over what kind of time frame? Should I add 1 lb at a time? Wait for it to dissipate and then add another lb or all at once? Thanks for all your help!

Finally got the stabilizer and will be adding it tomorrow. How much would you recommend adding at a time and over what kind of time frame? Should I add 1 lb at a time? Wait for it to dissipate and then add another lb or all at once? Thanks for all your help!

Per the calculations I should add just a little over 5 1/2 lbs of stabilizer. I will use the sock method. How much would you recommend adding at a time and over what kind of time frame? Should I add 1 lb at a time? Wait for it to dissipate and then add another lb or all at once? Thanks for all your help!
Doublecheck your volume calculations, plug it into poolmath, and target 40 CYA. Fill up a couple socks and set them in the skimmer or dangled them in front of the return, whatever is easiest and doesn't completely restrict flow. The sooner it's in there dissolving, the faster it will start working protecting your chlorine from the sun. Check the CYA level in a week and fine-tune it from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.