Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Vinyl Liner and Water

1. Back To Top    #1

New Vinyl Liner and Water

With just replacing my liner I've learned my lesson and will be using the TFP method this time. Used Pristine Blue for 5 years and pool was out of control before liner was accidentally punctured two years ago while closing. Pool was just filled with drinking water late last night so the testing has begun. I know that I bought the wrong test kit and will be buying the FAS/DPD test kit add on for the kit I bought tomorrow. Water is currently a cool 74 degrees.

TC - 0
    FC - 0
    PH - 7.0
    TA - 50ppm
    CH - 0
    CYA - 0

I just want to make sure that I'm adding the correct amounts and weather I should add everything at once or just do a little at a time. The pool calculator has me doing the following.

128oz of 8.25% bleach - which I did put in tonight because I did not want to be without chlorine.
    67oz of borax
    120oz of baking soda
    91oz of stabilizer

Am I on the right course of action?

Thanks for all your help!
    Stan
    27' Above Ground w/ new vinyl liner 6-30-14 - 17,000 gallons - Haywood Power-Flo Matrix 1hp pump - Haywood Pro Series model S166T sand filter - Talyor K-2005 test kit w/ FAS/DPD kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Vinyl Liner and Water

Welcome!

Keep reading all you can through Pool School to learn what you need to add and why then use Pool Math for dosing. You certainly need bleach and stabilizer. Your pH is low but can easily be raised by pointing a jet upwards to create a break in the surface water. This will effect your TA and you may want to add baking soda in small steps. don't overshoot any additions and allow 30 min of full circulation before adding another.

good luck and happy swimming!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I would hold off on the baking soda for TA adjustment for now, wait and do that last after everything else is done. Also I have not done the math, but remember CYA stabilizer is very acidic and will drive your pH down, so you will probably need to keep a close eye on that and adjust as needed as the CYA dissolves (use the sock method to add CYA)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Per the calculations I should add just a little over 5 1/2 lbs of stabilizer. I will use the sock method. How much would you recommend adding at a time and over what kind of time frame? Should I add 1 lb at a time? Wait for it to dissipate and then add another lb or all at once? Thanks for all your help!
    27' Above Ground w/ new vinyl liner 6-30-14 - 17,000 gallons - Haywood Power-Flo Matrix 1hp pump - Haywood Pro Series model S166T sand filter - Talyor K-2005 test kit w/ FAS/DPD kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Finally got the stabilizer and will be adding it tomorrow. How much would you recommend adding at a time and over what kind of time frame? Should I add 1 lb at a time? Wait for it to dissipate and then add another lb or all at once? Thanks for all your help!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by schaya View Post
    Per the calculations I should add just a little over 5 1/2 lbs of stabilizer. I will use the sock method. How much would you recommend adding at a time and over what kind of time frame? Should I add 1 lb at a time? Wait for it to dissipate and then add another lb or all at once? Thanks for all your help!
    Doublecheck your volume calculations, plug it into poolmath, and target 40 CYA. Fill up a couple socks and set them in the skimmer or dangled them in front of the return, whatever is easiest and doesn't completely restrict flow. The sooner it's in there dissolving, the faster it will start working protecting your chlorine from the sun. Check the CYA level in a week and fine-tune it from there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

So here is where I'm at.

FC - 3
    TC - 3
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.0
    TA - 40
    CH - Presumed 40 will not test til 7-13-14

Should I go after the Ph first or the TA? Thanks in advance!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by schaya View Post
    So here is where I'm at.

FC - 3
    TC - 3
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.0
    TA - 40
    CH - Presumed 40 will not test til 7-13-14

Should I go after the Ph first or the TA? Thanks in advance!
    I'd just raise TA with baking soda. It has a small positive effect on pH and should get you close. Unless you have some leftover pH up/soda ash. Then use that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!